Saturday, April 5, 2014

Early April Happenings

Hi, everyone. =)

Some things from this week:
  • My dad ended up in the hospital late last week because of some gall bladder issues. He had a minor heart attack when I was 16, and every time he ends up in the hospital again, I go back to that time. It's very difficult to visit someone you love when he/she is in the hospital. It makes me understand the sad and worried faces of the families who would visit the patients who I worked with at the hospital I used to volunteer in. It's just a horrible feeling to see your loved one and know that you can do very little to help him/her. If I ever do make it as a doctor, I hope that I can remember this feeling so that I can understand my patients and their families better. Thankfully, my dad is back home tonight, and he seems to be doing fine. 
  • On Monday night, I checked my biochem exam grade online, and I found out that I got a 100. Needless to say, I was jubilant. There is nothing like the feeling when you do really well on an exam. This was definitely one of the highlights of my week. 
  • I picked up a copy of season 6 of Mad Men that I'm hoping to finish during spring break so that I can watch season 7 (which premieres on April 13th). 
  • Tonight was the art exhibition that I've mentioned the last couple of weeks. I had biochem lab right before so I was feeling a bit tired, but I'm so glad I went to the event. There was some great art done by students from all over NYC, and I got to see my piece on display, which was pretty awesome. They also had some great food. It was a perfect way to end a Friday night. I plan to go  to more of these kinds of events. 
  • Random fact: I wore either a dress or a skirt during the 5 days that I had class this week. I have to go back to wearing actual pants next week. That will not be as fun. haha.
  • I've reignited my love for all things Frida Kahlo. I first heard about her when I was in 6th grade, and she's come in and out of my life ever since then. She is truly one of the greatest artists who has ever lived. Looking at her art makes me work that much harder to perfect mine. 

S. 

College Tip of the Week: Don't be intimidated by the intelligence of others. 

Most of the people who go to college are there because they have intellectual curiosity and want to better themselves. This means when you arrive, you will be surrounded by people who are just as motivated and just as intelligent as you are. 

This is especially true of Macaulay students. We're handpicked by the admissions team because we are some of the best students in the country. I remember that when I first started interacting with other Macaulay students, I was kind of intimidated by how intelligent everyone was. They all had so many interests and were good at so many things. Suddenly, my own accomplishments paled in comparison. But I quickly realized that it's great to be surrounded by driven people. They make you want to do better. And it has nothing to do with competition. I've never felt the need to compete with anyone at Macaulay. It's also really great to work with Macaulay students. So many of us work together on a host of different projects because we know that we're working with people who are just as motivated as we are. 

So no matter where you choose to go to college, don't be intimidated by the intelligence and motivation of others. Let it inspire you and make you want to work hard so that you can make the world just a little bit of a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment