Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Crazy Semester and a Wild, Book-Filled Break

I haven't been on this blog for so long that I nearly got kicked off (rightfully so) BUT NO FEAR - I'M BACK - BECAUSE THIS SEMESTER IS OVER! I do understand that the point of this blog is well, to blog during school time, but unfortunately I was unable to do this because I had a massive nursing exam every week. If it wasn't pathophysiology tests, (I throw around this class like it's intimidating and hard, which it is, but I love it to death..hah! I know a lot of the pathways to death now, speaking of it) it was Psych Nursing or Medical Surgical Nursing tests. I feel like after a semester of holding my breath in and trying to manage everything, I can finally let it out. Breathing is great! A lot of things have happened, my senior year of college:

-I am now so literary that I carry short stories in my coat pockets (Did I buy short stories of my own interest to carry around? No. Did my professor give me a printout of one to read on the subway? Yes. Does being able to pull out a short story as needed at any given moment make me extremely literary? Duh)
-Speaking of english, I have realized that it's hard to write fiction, how do writers not base everything on their lives? Also, my professors have tried to make me more concise. If they read this blog, they would know they failed. But considering being concise is the first step!
-I drew blood! Successfully! I squirmed and laughed hysterically while a classmate drew mine, but like, I could do it to other people.
-I aspire to be someone who attends work holiday parties. I think, to accomplish this, I will have to get a job. Indeed, I have one, but I should probably just work more...
- Planning club events at Hunter is totally great and SUPER ANNOYING (no offense college associations. It's just a lot of paperwork).
-Being president of the nursing students' press is awesome! It means I get to be a supreme dictator, come up with cheesy headlines and think of categories for the yearbook ("Most Likely To Marry A Doctor?" "Most Huggable Nurse?" "Best Active Listener?" "Best Vein-Identifier?") It also means I pull all-nighters doing layout. However, I shouldn't complain about things I like doing.
- I gave up on cooking and subsisted on my mom's food. #senior #responsible #independent
Whatever. I'll cook over the intercession.
-Speaking of the intercession (dear god, why am I calling it that? I am actually old) I'm taking an online nursing class (I keep forgetting about this class), probably working, studying for the GRE and NCLEX (lol), trying to go to Florida (note the "trying." Dreams are the first part), attempting to transition between teen fiction and adult fiction (though, I did read Gone Girl way before everyone started reading it on the subway, like a year before, so whatever, judge me for my teen fiction, subway goers, cuz I'm judging you), trying really hard to reduce the use of parentheticals in my writing, and trying to work on myself (I was going to say friendships, but they've been reduced to a few people I actually care about. Sad news flash: not everyone cares about you. Put effort into the people who do, even if it means leaving the ones that you still care about. Resist the urge to yell at them, over text, too, even if you have a really good, bitter one-liner).
-I guess the most different thing about this semester was how much time I spent alone. I think I'm more on the extroverted side than introverted? But I also prefer being alone a lot to watch beloved shows and read books or write? But then again those are alone activities...look, I have some introvert in me. But speaking of this, there is definitely a lot of introvert-love/extrovert-hate on the internet. We're not all just superficial people! Anyway, it just happened because of the workload this semester. But it was fine, I just talked to myself a lot. I spent so much less time with friends, and I was thankful for commuting to/from Hunter with friends because it allowed for convenient hang-out time! My nursing buddies became my closest group of friends, and I think that's how it is. I'll miss 'em come May (if things go as planned). I tried consciously to manage my time better, as in get up to go for a 5:35 class at 4:35 instead of 5, which worked out sometimes. Toward the end I was still dashing around school like a maniac. Let's pretend I cut a mysterious, interesting figure. Boys probably wondered, "Where is that girl going so urgently? How does she run so gracefully with a bulky coat and huge bags? Will her glasses fall off her face?" I'm sure of it.

This was a draft, and now as I continue it there are a few more updates:
Deep thoughts I've had:
-What more is there to life than lying in bed since you are an invalid from sudden wisdom tooth pain and reading YA novels all day and not having anything else to do? (Answer this and you win something. Not creative enough to think of what it would be)
-Why have I not put in my schedule for work yet? (Answer: work, or read books, THE DECISION IS TOO AGONIZING)
-Why are macarons so tedious to make? Why are there recipes that tell you to use egg yolks and some that say egg whites for the filling? WHICH IS IT?!
-My GRE book has dust on it, and yet, instead, I reread a Jenny Han book that I thought would be dumb but surprisingly wasn't too dumb at all (To All The Boys I've Loved). 
-I have realized that my favorite song-genre of Bollywood (right now, in case I ever need to take this back) is black-and-white songs. They are really quite good. Also, I've been thankful that I've done nothing all break than sit around with books and movies, or with my relatives and DJ music, play cards, and eat a lot of baked goods. Sitting around is good for the soul, I tell you!
-I went to the gym a couple of times (yay me!) but then stopped and started back again (boo me! Where is the routine in my life?) But now that I'm an invalid because toothache I'm basically wasting away, so I mean, whatever (JK, I am compelled by my nutrition nursing class to take this back).
-I wrote a poem about pathophysiology for my creative writing portfolio and my professor asked for a corrected copy to keep! I'm basically published, everyone!

Since these winter posts are always accompanied by a list of books/tv shows I've been watching, here they are:
Outlander (book and TV show) - I'm sorry but if you do not appreciate Jamie/Sam Heughan you may need to leave everywhere and everything. That Scottish accent! Those dreamboat red curls! That sword-fighting! The book was quite good - the plot was intriguing and refreshing! Afraid to read the other 8 novels, though, since they'll only be full of ways to separate Jamie and Claire and I'm not about that. ALSO loved that she's a badass nurse! Since she's transported back to the 18th century, she only has herbal medicine and leeches to work with, but that stuff works well, yo. I see how they survived in those grimy times. Glad to read that horse dung is useless even in the 18th century. Also, I read that putting vanilla extract on your painful wisdom tooth can ease the pain, AND IT TOTALLY DOES! #allnatural (it is, right?) #soherbalthatIbelonginanothercentury #JKreadtoomuchOutlander
The Office - it's been four years and I still haven't seen it all, which is great, because quality TV time forever!
The Mindy Project - I rewatched all of the episodes for the joy of hearing great lines and catching references I missed before because I have no life and Danny Castellano is everything.
I'll Give You The Sun (quality YA, Jandy Nelson, her writing is just as good and cool as her first name), The Silkworm (JK Rowling is the best! Crime fiction is the best! Cormoran Strike is too cool!) and I'm not remembering the rest.
Here's to a great winter break to all those reading this!

Amirah



No comments:

Post a Comment