Friday, August 1, 2014

Good Friends and Good Music

Hi, everyone.

I'm going to set off to see some fireworks with my dad again tonight. Hopefully, it won't be too humid and rainy. Seeing those lights in the sky always reminds me of how beautiful summer can be.

Last Friday, I finally got around to getting my hair trimmed. I've been going to the same lady for 5 years so she doesn't even bother to ask what I need anymore. I always get the same trim and blowout. haha.

I'm always in awe of her abilities. I know some people out there may not think that being a hairstylist or a barber is a big deal, but every time that I'm there I'm reminded of how much skill and patience these people have. Their eyes are always focused on the task at hand even as they're exchanging stories and jokes with their clients. Every movement of their hands has a purpose. They're not just haphazardly hacking away at the hair. Also, most of these people are just fun to talk to. They've heard dozens of stories from their clients over the years and can give a great perspective on something that's been on your mind. They may not be doctors or lawyers or firemen, but they're still making people's lives better. These are the people who can help us reveal and accept our own beauty and who can also help us reinvent ourselves when we want them to. So here's to all of the great hair professionals out there! haha.

The next day, I got to hang out with my middle school friends again. We hung out at Starbucks for awhile just chatting and catching up on each other's lives since the last time we saw each other during spring break. We made a stop at Otafuku, which is a cute little place in the East Village that sells Japanese street food. We grabbed some red bean medetai, which was adorable and sweet. It's a fish-shaped pastry filled with red bean paste. My friend says they have great things for lunch as well, but since we had a dinner reservation for later that night, we held back on ordering anything else. We walked around the neighborhood for awhile and sat in Stuyvesant Square just enjoying the birds and flowers. We then headed to Ducks Eatery for some Cajun inspired food. I had some amazing chicken wings (probably the best that I've ever had) and tried some of my friend's goat neck, which was surprisingly super tender and just melted in my mouth.

This past Wednesday, I hung out with another friend from middle school after a year of not seeing each other. We sat and chatted in Grand Army Plaza and took a stroll through Prospect Park. It was a beautiful day, and it was great to catch up on each other's lives. He's also pre-med so we got to discuss all of our worries about the next couple of years as we apply to and enter med school. We ended the day with some pizza at The Sicilian.

I've also continued shadowing during the last couple of weeks, and it's been going great. I'm so happy to be there just absorbing everything that I can.

I don't know how many people out there have heard of Sam Smith, but if not, go on YouTube and check him out. He's become well-known over the last few months, and he released an amazing album called In the Lonely Hour back in May. There's not a single song that I've heard of his that I don't love. He's one of the rare artists out there that sounds great on the album and even better live. He's just awesome. And he's only 22.

Take a listen.


S.

Quote of the Week

“Youth is happy because it has the capacity to see beauty. Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” 

~ Franz Kafka

No comments:

Post a Comment