Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Repartee, Curry Powder, Hulu Plus, BBC Dramas

This lovely Monday evening finds me attempting to binge-watch Hart of Dixie/Jane The Virgin, but Hulu Plus has foiled me, and just when there was a huge cliff-hanger, too! Or maybe it didn't foil me and the latest episode is just not out yet...must check on that.
I finally went to work, and did a one-to-one with a patient where I followed him around all day as he attempted to convince all the staff to discharge him. If I was unsure of my patient-trailing skills, I am sure now. I can slip between carts and computers and hordes of health care workers like it's nothing! I also am excellent at fetching cookies and milk and juices from the pantry! Also, my patient and I watched a blurry version of whatever movie was on TCM today, so all in all, not a bad day. This week of January has been blustery, which I haven't minded except the snowy roads make it difficult to get to the gym. Fate knows that staying home and eating chocolate chips is better for the soul than struggling with the shoulder press, it seems.
When school starts back we Nursing kids have to take a pharmacology exam that shall deem our worth in this world. I am pretty terrified, and am pretty sure this is related to me not having studied a pinch for it yet. Labetalol, anyone?
Since this is a MHC blog it makes sense to mention that Macaulay interviews are coming up, so best of luck to you kids! The best advice is stuff you already know. Be yourself and be confident! Also, dress well. Alas, I shall never know this new class, probably, but I wish you all the best and am confident that my words have wisdom about varying TV shows have soothed your minds as you have applied to Macaulay.
This week I also applied my smarts to the stove. I toiled away at making rice that did not sog (not a word. I could use sag, but does rice sag? Fine. Rice that wasn't soggy), spinach that remained an appetizing green color, and dal (split pea soup) that was...liquid-y and not clumpy. I also made shrimp curry, and added dye and curry powder instead of curry powder and masala. I had thought it was a very suspicious orange color. I will have everyone know that I prevailed in the end, despite my father asking what was burning every so often, and us realizing later that the curry was missing the main ingredient. Psh. People need change every so often.
Saw the Golden Globes where Tina and Amy debate Colin Farrell vs Colin Firth and DIEEEEDDDD le sigh. I have been trying to watch more BBC dramas but none can top Pride and Prejudice. North & South is by far my favorite besides P&P because hello, Richard Armitage is dreams. He is even dreams as Thorin in the Hobbit. Also, it's a great story and has great acting, that too. Daniel Deronda was interesting, with actors I like. I was surprised at the ending, but pleasantly so. Downton Abbey is not BBC but it is related (uppity British actors and all) and I must say that after season 3 I have lost the will to continue on. -SPOILER ALERT -You kill off the best people in the show, and you expect us to keep watching, you think we'll just put our hearts out there again so they can be ripped apart, well TRY AGAIN, JULIAN FELLOWES. It's true that the season 5 premiere had super high ratings but I think Julian better watch out because as much as I love the drama, Tom and Mary should've been spared this misery and I will not reward their pain. (Fine, I DID WATCH SEASON 4 EP 1 BUT I WON'T GO ON).
I also watched Outlander and I'm sorry but if you do not appreciate Jamie/Sam Heughan you may need to leave everywhere and everything. That Scottish accent! Those dreamboat red curls! That sword-fighting! The book was quite good- the plot was intriguing and refreshing! Afraid to read the other 8 novels, though, since they'll only be full of new ways to separate Jamie and Claire and I'm not about that. Outlander also resonates perhaps a bit too deeply because Claire is a badass nurse yeeeess! Since she's transported back to the 18th century, she only has herbal medicine and leeches to work with, but that stuff works well, yo. I see how they survived in those grimy times. Also, I read that putting vanilla extract on your painful wisdom tooth can ease the pain, AND IT TOTALLY DOES! #allnatural (it is, right?) #soherbalthatIbelonginanothercentury #JKReadtoomuchOutlander

To end on a note of ridiculosity (also not a word. I shall continue using words that are not real. If they could do it in Frindle I can do it too), here is a confession-of-love line that I think everyone should use at a critical time:
"My love for you will always be inflamed. Like the pus that runs from a never-healing open wound, it is constant and deep." #NursingstudentOUT

Amirah

P.S. I forgot to mention that I watched Wuthering Heights (1939) and woah, Lawrence Olivier is smokin' hot. Cathy is terrible, and I suppose Heathcliff is also terrible, but I understand better now why their love is passionate and...terrible. Cathy was dumb though. She had it all! She could've just put aside her vanity and wish for worldliness and upper-class-stuff for true love! Isn't that the life lesson of EVERYTHING EVER, CATHY?! DID YOU LEARN NOTHING FROM BOOKS OR MOVIES?!
I also saw Love Story, which I had seen clips of and thought it silly because the tag line of "Love means never having to say you're sorry" didn't make that much sense to me. However, I have re-evaluated upon watching it and loved it. That acerbic wit! Their young love! Harvard! Lots of scarves! Her supporting him through law school! Parents not agreeing! Sad tragedy that killed a beautiful relationship! You know. Sigh. I used to hate the movies where they didn't end up happily ever after, but am trying to be mature and see that the point is that they valued their time together. "Better to have loved and lost.." etc etc.
P.P.S. I should have, long ago, left off these posts with quotes that were meaningful to me (as Slavena does, which is supa-cool)! Instead, I will just leave quotes from a fiction book that I find hilarious for today.

"Why are you putting on lip gloss, my daughter?” Dad asked. “Trip to the library? Trip to the nunnery? I hear the nunneries are nice this time of year" ...“Is this true, Kami? Are you going out on a date?” Dad asked tragically. “Wearing that? Wouldn’t you fancy a shapeless cardigan instead? You rock a shapeless cardigan, honey.” - Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

“Don't feel bad, Angela," Kami said. "You know guys, they only want one thing. Repartee. I can't count how many times men have admired my well-turned phrases.” - Unspoken
(^KILLS ME)

No comments:

Post a Comment