Friday, November 21, 2014

A Week of Indian Food

Sorry to be posting again so soon after my last post (which is right below this one, I bet). I just realized I totally have never told anyone on this blog about food and how much I love it.

Before coming to college, I was what you could call a picky eater. I always ordered the same thing at the same five restaurants. I didn't like spicy food, or weird soups, or whatever. Now, I am still a picky eater. I still get Caesar salad at every Italian restaurant I go to. But my culinary tastes have expanded since I've entered college, specifically because of Indian food. There is an entire neighborhood near my dorm that is entirely Indian. We call it Curry Hill (get it? Murray Hill?). Since coming to college, I have been exposed to so many different types of food, from falafel sandwiches to chicken curry that I never really thought I would like, let alone truly enjoy.

Normally, I eat at this takeout/buffet Indian place called Curry Express on 29th and Lexington. A lot of people at the dorms either order from here or from Curry in a Hurry, which is around the corner on 28th and Lexington. Depends on your preference (I don't like bones in my chicken, so I don't order from Curry in a Hurry; it's also a tad more expensive). But, I have never been to a sit-down Indian place. The takeout place is cheap and frankly very good, though the atmosphere is a bit lacking. I went to Dhaba on Tuesday night and it was crazy good; really nice atmosphere and delicious food. Then I went to Malai Marke on the Lower East Side, which I didn't even know was owned by the same company as Dhaba until I got there. Malai Marke is a much quieter atmosphere, and somehow the food is better than Dhaba (slightly less spicy, which is better for me).

When I wasn't eating at a restaurant, I was eating leftovers. So this week has been a week filled with love, beauty, and naan.

P.S. Just ate the Curried Butternut Squash Chicken soup from Hale and Hearty and almost cried because it was basically Indian food and it was equally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment