Friday, November 14, 2014

November Chills and Bloomingdale's

Hi, everyone!

So on Tuesday, I finally did that bio presentation that I've been telling you all about for the last few weeks. I'm happy to say that it went well! When I'm nervous, I have a tendency to speak quickly, but this time I was able to keep my composure so that my voice sounded strong throughout the 15 minutes. Win.

The same day that I presented, we had some glorious weather. It felt like we were in the middle of spring! Sunny, warm, and just generally fun to be outside. Now, it's cold and windy. But it's ok. We've been blessed with a mild fall thus far so I'm ok with temperatures dipping down. As much as the cold can be unpleasant, my mind also associates it with the holidays. So when that bitter wind comes knocking, I always think about the warmth of Thanksgiving at home and the lights on the Upper East Side during December.

Tuesday was also the day of my LAST EVER CLASS REGISTRATION at Hunter. OMG. No more anxiously looking at the clock as I stress about whether I'll have technical issues with CUNYfirst or a particular department. But I'm also a little sad that I won't have to register for classes ever again. I don't know how the process works in med school, but I imagine it doesn't involve the same procedures.

Like the last few semesters, this registration went smoothly, and I got all of the classes that I wanted. One less thing to worry about.

Today was great because I finally got myself to Bloomingdale's again. The first and last time I went there was in Fall 2011 (my freshman year). I remember being dressed in a hoodie and jeans and just walking in and ogling the pretty clothes for awhile. haha. I looked down at my clothes and found myself underdressed. I remember thinking: "OMG, everyone is probably wondering what I'm doing here. I don't look like I belong here."

I've been meaning to go back all of these years but never got around to it even though it's just a few blocks from Hunter. So today, my friend was looking for a blazer and when I mentioned that I hadn't been there for 3 years, he said that we should go. And there we were among all of the beautiful clothes. This time I was more appropriately dressed. I had on a beautiful red coat and a printed dress. But I realize that it really has nothing to do with my clothes at all. Yes, my style has evolved over time. If you ever see me outside, 9 times out of 10, I will have on a well-thought out outfit. But it's not about the clothes. The clothes help, but the attitude is what matters the most. You can easily walk into Bloomingdale's or down Madison Avenue in workout clothes or jeans and a tee and still look like you belong there. It's about how you carry yourself. That's what is wonderful about this city. You don't have to be rich or have fancy clothes or a fancy education. You just need to walk with confidence, and you will feel just as comfortable in a Dolce and Gabbana store as you do at your local bodega. That's what I would tell my 18-year-old self if I could.

S.

Quote of the Week

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment