Friday, November 28, 2014

Our ears and eyes

Hey, everyone!

It's the day after Thanksgiving so I'm betting many of you went shopping earlier today. Brave souls. haha. My mom and I decided that we weren't going to shop today or this weekend because of the crowds. Actually, we made one exception. :p Tomorrow, we're heading for a bit of shopping in Brooklyn just to get some stuff that we need. The plan is to shop for clothes next weekend. Here's to hoping that I get myself some cozy sweaters and a new pair of long black boots. :)

Last weekend, I finished writing my second major paper for my English class, and it was definitely not easy to write. I picked two relatively difficult poems, which I had to break down and put together again in a coherent way. But I think the essay turned out good. It felt great to hand it in and know that I put my all into it.

I only had classes on Monday and Tuesday this week since my English professor cancelled class on Wednesday afternoon (bless his soul). My friends and I had planned to go out for burgers on Wednesday, but then two people said that they couldn't make it so I cancelled the gathering. It's ok though. It's hard to get people together these days. Everyone is on different schedules jam-packed with all kinds of things. It just makes me more grateful for the times that I do get to hang out with them. Here's to hoping we can do something in a few weeks.

On Tuesday, I had a terrible experience with some food I bought at an Asian place. I ordered pad thai because I had tried some at Whole Foods last year and loved it. I took one bite, and it was sooo bad. Omg. Too sweet and too nutty and the chicken had a weird texture. Ugh. I had to throw it out. Oh well. If I hadn't tried it, I wouldn't have known. Now I know to order my regular chicken and broccoli, which that restaurant does a great job with. haha.

That reminds me of something my bio professor said on Tuesday night in class. He said that if scientists didn't take the chance of being "wrong" every once in awhile, they would never get anywhere. You've got to take a chance even if you might be wrong because it can lead you to new and wonderful places.

On Wednesday and Thursday, my mom and I went grocery shopping and cooked. It was a lot of work but totally worth it.
Yummy eggplant rolls
We cooked half the turkey since the whole thing is too much for 4 people.
Levangee (a walnut and tamarind paste that we eat with turkey)
What am I thankful for this year? Good health, love, and peace of mind. 

EDIT: 11/30/2014

In my 11/21 post, I said that I would include photos from my Jewish museum visit, and yesterday, I realized that I totally forgot to do that.

This was my second time seeing their permanent exhibition, Culture and Continuity: The Jewish Journey. The first time was probably about 10 years ago or so. It's great to see how Jewish culture has evolved over time but has also held on to so many of the early traditions. I think this idea is best illustrated by the two menorahs that sit at the entrance to the exhibit. They both represent one of the most famous symbols of Judaism but are made at two different times in history with different materials and for a different purpose.

Burial Plaque, Rome, 3rd-4th Century CE
Utopia Menorah, Jonathan Adler, New York, 2006
I also saw the exhibition on Helena Rubinstein. She was a Polish Jew who became one of the wealthiest women of her time with her creation of a beauty empire. The exhibit includes several portraits of her as well as the many pieces of art that she collected during her lifetime. One cool thing that I found out is that she knew Frida Kahlo (who I adore). How awesome is that? The exhibit also includes her collection of miniature rooms, which are stunningly detailed and just so cool to look at.

The Rubinstein exhibit runs until March 22, 2015.

S.

Quote of the Week 

“Usually when we hear or read something new, we just compare it to our own ideas. If it is the same, we accept it and say that it is correct. If it is not, we say it is incorrect. In either case, we learn nothing.”

~ Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

No comments:

Post a Comment