Friday, March 21, 2014

Oh My Sunshine

Hi, everyone!!

Happy spring!!! The last couple of days have actually felt like spring, but I hear that it will get colder again next week. Sigh. But I'm determined to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

This week had a dark cloud hanging over it because I had to study for my biochem midterm (which I took last night). It's only one of two tests that we have in that class so it's important to do well on both.  I spent a good chunk of my week reviewing my notes, and I met up with some friends for two study group sessions. Now, I have to wait for the results. Sigh.

I mentioned my mom's birthday in last week's post. Here are some pics from that day. My mom is officially a classy 52. But she likes to think she just turned 21. haha.

Red Tulips!
Red Roses!
Cake!
It was a relatively uneventful week so I'll give you a bullet list of random things that happened and/or I observed/felt.

  • On Monday, I took a walk down Madison Avenue, and managed to catch glimpses of the St. Patrick's Day parade one block away. I loved seeing all of the green and hearing the bagpipes.
  • On Tuesday, I had Chinese food for the first time since January. Good old chicken and broccoli. Yum.
  • I submitted a piece for an exhibition run by "The Fempire" (an organization at Hunter that promotes women's rights). The exhibition is happening two weeks from today, and I'm super excited to see my work on display!
  • My friends and I exchanged lots of hugs. Hugs are practically a requirement for tough midterms weeks. They make everything better.
  • I watched a particularly emotional scene in the show, Parenthood, about a character who had Asperger's Syndrome. He was in the car with his parents, and he was saying how he felt like a freak because none of the other kids understand him. It was incredibly hard to watch. No matter who you are, I think we all know what it feels like not to belong.

S.

College Tip of the Week: Know what you're good at. 

I think that a big part of having a successful career (and a successful life) is knowing what you're good at. People like da Vinci (he was a polymath) come around rarely. Most people I know are not good at everything. We have certain abilities that we are either born with and/or cultivate as we grow up. If you have a good sense of what kinds of things you can do, then you can go out and build a career on those abilities.
Many people think that they're not good at anything. That's not true. Everyone is good at something. Find that something, and make yourself even better at it. Maybe you can't sing or dance or play the sax, but maybe you're good at scientific research. Or maybe you're a great writer. Remember: Find, and cultivate.

No comments:

Post a Comment