Friday, March 14, 2014

Vernier Calipers and Glorious Days

Hey, everyone!

My mom's birthday is tomorrow, and we just finished making the cake. At one point, my mom said, "Your dad is cracking the hazelnuts for the top of the cake, and you're doing the majority of the work in making the cake. I'm just standing here observing." So I asked her, "Does that make you happy or sad?", and she was like, "I don't know". haha. I think she's used to doing all the work in the house, and she felt strange just watching my dad and I do the work for once. I told her that it's her birthday tomorrow, so she shouldn't be doing any work anyway. But I think it's a Mom thing. They have to always be doing something. Otherwise, they feel like they have no purpose.

While on the topic of parents:

My dad is great with a set of tools. He loves getting his hands dirty and fixing and making things. (He's actually fixing something right now.) If you give him a tool he's never seen before, he'll be using it like a pro in no time. When I was a kid, he used to tell me about all of the uses of his tools, and I used to help him fix things sometimes. One thing he taught me how to use is a vernier caliper. In case, you're going "Huh? What the heck is a vernier caliper?": it's essentially a fancy kind of ruler.


I was probably the only 10-year-old I knew who had ever seen one of these things. My dad taught me how to use it, but of course, as all kids do, I was not paying attention all that much because I never thought I would ever have to actually use one. Lo and behold, last semester in physics, I walk into lab, and see one of these on the table. And I'm like, "Crap. I should have actually paid attention to my dad's explanation." I think my lab group kind of figured out how to use it, but I personally was still not 100% comfortable with it. This past Wednesday, I finally asked my dad to show me how to use it again. It's actually sitting on my desk right now because he told me to practice measuring things with it. Yay for fathers who teach you things! =)

Last Sunday, my dad and I visited a shoe repair shop because the heel of one of my boots has been giving me trouble lately. When we walked in, we didn't have to even say anything. The shoe repairman automatically remembered my boots and the work that he had done on them. (A couple of weeks ago, he replaced the heels on both, but one of them was still giving me trouble.) He must have dealt with hundreds, maybe thousands of shoes in his lifetime (he's now in his 70's), and he remembered my boots after working with them only once. I thought that was pretty amazing. That is what I call a professional.

By far the best day of this past week was Tuesday. OMG. The weather was gorgeous. I woke up to the sounds of birds singing outside of my window. Glorious. But I wanted to tell the birds not to get too excited because the nice weather was only temporary. For instance, yesterday was terrible. Just cold and miserable. I want my sunshine already!

S.

College Tip of the Week: Have fun with classes outside of your major. 

I've probably mentioned this on the blog many times already, but for those of you who are new readers, I'll say it again. I'm a biology major, and I'm pre-med (as many students at Hunter are). As you can imagine, this means that I take a whole bunch of science classes. Sometimes, these science classes drive me a bit nuts, so I always look forward to the non-science classes that I take to fulfill my GERs (General Education Requirement). GERs are classes that everyone at Hunter has to take in order to graduate. These requirements have given me the opportunity to take courses that have completely nothing to do with my future career but are awesomely interesting and expand my mind greatly.

So definitely take advantage of the GER's, and take some cool classes.

Here are a few that I thought were awesome (which you might think are awesome if you end up coming to Hunter or are already at Hunter):

(I think I've mentioned all of these classes at least once on the blog.)

1. Poli Sci 110 (w/ Prof. Polsky)

2. Macaulay Seminars (All Four):

        Mac Sem #1 (w/ Prof. Graff)
        Mac Sem #2 (w/ Prof. Friedlander)
        Mac Sem #3 (w/ Prof. Garson)
        Mac Sem #4 (w/ Prof. Gutfreund)

3. German Fairytales (w/ Prof. Titze)

4. History of Broadcasting (w/ Prof. Roman)

5. Asian Religions (w/ Prof. Nacht)

6. Filipino-American Lit (w/ Prof. Francia)

No comments:

Post a Comment