Thursday, March 13, 2014

3 Things New Yorkers Hypocritically Complain About

  1. Being on the wrong side of the escalators or stairs. It is one of my biggest pet peeves, especially since we go to a school with a vertical campus where one of the buildings relies on the escalators. You would think that people would learn after the tenth time of asking them to stand on the right side of the escalator, so that people can walk past if they are in a hurry. People don't learn this. And that's fine, OK, so I have to ask you to step aside instead of you already doing it, whatever, no big. It's worse on the stairs at the subway station, though. If there is a throng of people attempting to leave the station, you really don't need to be that one person who makes it more difficult for everyone to get up the stairs. That being said, if I'm deep in conversation with someone, I have been known to be party to someone standing on the wrong side of the escalator.
  2. Standing by the doors in the subway car. Literally the worst, because it means less people can get into the car, and those who are further in have a harder time getting out. The subways in NYC have a lot of pros, but people not knowing how to make room for more people is definitely a con. Not moving into the car also makes the subway ride far more uncomfortable for everyone, because those who are trying to get into the middle of the car usually can't, and there's a lot more jostling and bodies pressed up against bodies. But, again, I have been known to stand by the doors from time to time. Generally, if I'm only going one stop, which I try not to do in the first place, then I'll wait by the doors because it's a hassle trying to get back out from the middle, but that doesn't excuse that I still do it.
  3. Stop walking in the middle of the hallway or street. This one's a big one I think. I'm big into having a destination and walking there in as straight a line as possible, but this is made super difficult when you have to turn left or right to avoid road blocks. Road blocks in the form of people stopping to have a chat, or a make-out session, in the middle of everyone else walking. This definitely happens within Hunter as well, and is super annoying when you have a backpack (mine's a messenger bag so I only wear it off one shoulder, and it swings when I swerve) and you have to get to class. And, yet again, I still sometimes find myself stopping in my tracks to say hi to someone. I try really hard not to do this one, because it really just stops traffic, but I know I have at one point or another... Or, at least, slowed down to a point that was probably not super conducive to everyone else moving along.
Now, this may sound a little on the complaining side, but really I'm just interested in what your New Yorker pet peeves are. Feel free to list some in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment