Sunday, March 23, 2014

2048 is ruining my life.

In honor of having just read The Sound and The Fury, this post will be merely a list of thoughts:

  • Just finished reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner and let me say, wow. It's a modernist structure study on conveying the paralyzingly dissonant and obsessive quality of human thought. Absolutely stunningly written, and I would recommend it strongly. I was surprised I liked it, considering how it's a running joke in English major land that Faulkner's sentences go on forever, and I'm more of a Hemingway gal (who made fun of Faulkner, but he hated everyone anyway, so). This book might as well be one sentence. Don't read this when you're tired.
  • Which reminds me, I need to start pleasure-reading again. When you're an English major, you're constantly torn between books you have to read and books you want to read. If you're lucky, you'll get a class where you read some of the things you wanted to read anyway, such as my Hemingway class. Unfortunately, my list of books I want to read that I probably won't read in school is impossibly long and I keep putting it off until breaks. It's also unfortunate that English classes may introduce you to even more books you want to read and the list will just endlessly get longer.
  • I took advantage of the beautiful weather last Saturday and went to IKEA on the free ferry. It's only free on the weekends, but it's an awesome opportunity to take a boat ride to Brooklyn and get lots of cheap stuff you don't need! But seriously, everything you could ever need for your dorm room is at IKEA, so I would strongly recommend a trip over here at some point during your college career. Everything there is also way cheaper than anything you could find in New York itself. Pick a nice day, grab a friend, and take a boat ride.
  • I really want to see Hayao Miyazaki's new film The Wind Rises and Wes Anderson's new film The Grand Budapest Hotel. I just need to find the time!
  • I'm halfway done with midterms right now. I have an American Survey paper I should be writing on Emerson's poetry. I'm procrastinating work with other work.
  • I went to see No Exit at the Pearl Theater last night with my parents. I had read the Sartre play in my Existentialism class last spring and loved it. I also saw the student production of it last spring (how coincidental). This production of it was slightly different and more professional, but I found that I liked Hunter's student version slightly better. It's odd that all of the plays I read in Existentialism keep being produced (first Waiting for Godot on Broadway, and now this).
  • I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing this summer. No progress. It's crazy that they make us decide things for summer in March. I still have to wear my winter coat out, it's not fair to make me think about summer plans.
  • Speaking of summer, I finally found Nantucket Red shorts at J Crew! I've been looking for these for, literally, a year. At least I can pretend summer is creeping closer every time I look at them.
  • I have been obsessively playing both 2048 and Doge2048 for a week. Don't look those up, they will ruin both your productivity and your life.
I'll end this with my favorite quote from The Sound and The Fury:

"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire…I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
William Faulkner

P.S. Congrats to those of you who got accepted into Macaulay last Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment