Friday, March 28, 2014

Femininity and Flowers

Hey, everyone!

Spring break is officially two weeks away, and I think we're all counting down the days here at Hunter. I've never really had the notoriously wild college spring break that we always see in movies. Freshman year, I spent my spring break moping about and just doing homework. Last year, I spent it studying for my orgo II exam. I'm really hoping that this year, I'll be able to squeeze in some more fun. 

Last Saturday, I went to the mall with my mom. We got some cool pieces for the season, which I'll be wearing for the next couple of months. I love shopping with my mom because she has a great sense of style and knows what looks good on her. I think my mom's love of clothes has definitely rubbed off on me as I've gotten older. But when I was younger, she would always yell at me because I wouldn't really pay attention to what I was wearing. But throughout my adolescence, I started to develop an appreciation for fashion history and design, which definitely inspired me to think more carefully about my everyday clothing choices. I love putting together interesting outfits and pushing myself creatively. My choice of clothing is an outlet for my self-expression just like my poetry. 

In the last two years, I've been gravitating towards skirts and dresses, and at least twice a week, I wear either one. I love the femininity that comes with these kinds of pieces. The other day, I was actually telling my mom that whenever I wear pants, I don't feel the same anymore because I've gotten so used to wearing these feminine pieces. 

I think there's a great power in embracing your womanhood and not being afraid of looking too "girly" or "colorful". When the women's rights movement was happening in the 1960's and 1970's, there were some women who believed that they had to dress like the guys to be taken seriously in the workplace. I'm so thankful that women are finally seeing the power in their femininity and are not afraid that they'll appear weak or unprofessional if they rock a gorgeous dress to work instead of a pantsuit. 

As I mentioned last week, "The Fempire", which is a women's rights organization at Hunter, is having an exhibition next Friday that features the work of feminist artists. (It's in Thomas Hunter 105 for anyone who will be at Hunter next Friday from 4-7 PM.) One of my pieces will be on display as well!

Today, I went out to Central Park to look for the saucer magnolia trees that I first saw March of my freshman year. I mentioned them in a post from last year. They can bloom as early as late March, but because we've had such cold weather lately, the flowers aren't out yet. I ended up just having a relaxing walk through the park listening to the birds and breathing in the smell of rain and earth. 

S. 

College Tip of the Week: Make time for your family.

I'm a commuter student so after a long tiring day, I know I'm going to go home and see my family. But even though I still live with my parents, I see less of them than I ever did in high school. Either I'm at Hunter all day or I'm studying at home. Sometimes, it can be hard to squeeze in that much-needed time with my family. What's worked for me is just dedicating time every week to just hanging out and watching TV with my family or going shopping with my mom or listening to my dad's stories about medical school. Spending time with my family helps keep my grounded, and it helps keep things in perspective. They're also great company for those days when college life gets overwhelming. 

If you dorm, then it's probably even harder for you to see your family during the semester. I recommend stopping by at your parents' house a few times a month and scheduling fun events with your family on weekends when you know you'll be free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment