Monday, January 28, 2013

Snow, Broadcasting, The End of Adolescence

Hello everyone!!

Today is the first day of the spring semester and also the beginning of my fourth semester as a Macaulay Hunter Student! I remember this time last year and being so excited to start my second semester. Sometimes it all still feels so unreal.

It was snowing this morning when I was sitting on the bridge. It was so pretty. It was super cold last week and that was no fun. I think the temperature is supposed to warm up a bit soon.
The past month has been busy. I think I mentioned that I took a winter class. It's called "History of Broadcasting" (Media 380) and it was taught by Professor Roman. I had a great time in that class. The professor was super knowledgable about the history of television and radio and he shared a lot of cool stories about the industry that I wasn't aware of before. It was a nice break from all of the science classes that I have to take. By the way, for winter and summer classes, many professors are willing to waive certain prerequisites and allow a student to take a class. In order to take Media 380, a student must complete Media 180 and English 120. I have never taken Media 180, but my advisor said to email the professor and ask if he'd be willing to waive the requirement for Media 180. He agreed to do it. So if you want to take a winter or summer class and you don't have all of the prerequisites, email the professor. It can't hurt to ask if they're willing to waive the prerequisite.
Intersession classes are great because you focus on only 1 or 2 classes during the session and have time to volunteer, do an internship, and/or see your friends. They're also a great way to fulfill your GER's quickly.

In other news, I celebrated my 20th birthday last week. My teenage years are officially over. It seems kinda crazy. I feel like my teenage years went by too fast and lasted forever at the same time.

We had a dinner and cake at home. Here's the cake:



It still feels weird to say "I'm 20". My mom was like "You look 15". haha.


Downton Abbey came back on January 6 for a third season. It's a British miniseries about a British family and their servants living on a large estate at the beginning of the 20th century. It's a fantastic show. It depicts how life was like for both upper class and lower class people during that time period. The estate is beautiful and the clothing is exquisite. The show deals with universal issues such as jealousy, the struggle for identity, betrayal, and class divisions. It airs on Sunday nights at 9:00 P.M. on PBS.


Last Monday was President Obama's inauguration. When talking about the inauguration on television, everyone talked about Obama's speech and Beyonce's lip synching (haha). The speeches and performances were cool, but my favorite part of the inauguration was Richard Blanco's poem called One TodayBlanco is the first Latino and the first openly gay person to be the U.S. inaugural poet. In a time where we frequently feel disconnected from each other, the poem demonstrated what unifies us.


After doing "Quote of the week" for the past two semesters and doing "Poem of the week" a couple of times last semester, I've decided to start doing "Song of the week".


Enjoy your week!


S.


Song of the Week


Gravity is working against me
And gravity wants to bring me down

Oh I'll never know what makes this man
With all the love that his heart can stand
Dream of ways to throw it all away

Oh, gravity is working against me
And gravity wants to bring me down

Oh twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more
That's gonna send me to my knees


"Gravity" by John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment