Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Today's weather was gawwwgeous. Simplyyy beautiful and so comfortable! If this was a preview of all spring days to come ( including how there were no allergies for me) I'm taking it! So long to my dreams for a snow day encore.

Last week, I went and responded to Besty's email about getting a free book. Who can refuse one? I remember watching the author, David Eageleman, on the Colbert Report and reading ( I think halfway) through his first book,Incognito. His smaller, more recent book, Sum: Forty Tales From the Afterlives, truly does give an insight into the many facets of the human mind. One of the vignettes, Metamorphosis, was extremely powerful and actually got me depressed for a second. The first paragraph hit me the most, especially how, of the three deaths Eagleman proposes in this afterlife, the third death, "is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time." Totally reminded me of the pharaohs of ancient Egypt. A must read for Psych majors!

At the dorms, my floor has been in the midst of redecorating. We finally took down last semester's decorations and cleaned up the white marker boards. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize that the gunked on, stale marker writing from the last semester took about an hour of lysol spraying and vigorous rubbing off. My lungs were definitely upset at me. But finally, my floor is starting to morph into a new character for the semester, thanks to the help of a few residents on the floor and the CA.

Sunday was the first Goldsmith meeting for the year. It was a really great essay workshop, where we discussed the merits of a great essay. And of course, it allowed me to get back to the Macaulay Building, ever more pretty and peaceful on a beautiful Sunday. I didn't expect the meeting to get me so revved up for the semester mid way! Looking forward to our future meetings for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment