Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lazy Days of Summer... yeah right!

Vacation? What vacation? I'm here at Hunter right now, waiting for my Classical Mythology class to start. I'm taking the full 6 credits this first summer session ( classical mythology, along with Asian American Women Writers). I have not had a single day of faithfully following Bruno Mars' "The Lazy Song", and I really can't wait to have one.

Summer classes are truthfully much easier than their regular semester counterparts. I'm really glad I'm taking the last two GERs that I need to graduate over the summer, rather than during the year. This way, I can hopefully clear up space for physics and other classes I need for either my Biology and/or Environmental Studies major.

I'm thoroughly enjoying interning at the marine biology lab at Baruch. It's quite different from the last lab, a multidisciplinary science lab at Hunter, that I interned at. There, I performed more biochemical/genetics/biology experiments. Here, its definitely more chemical experiments, with a lot of interaction with organisms, such as oysters. The Baruch lab allowed me to touch an oyster for the first time in my life. Ironically, this first time was when I had to shuck said oysters, a really physically taxing endeavor for someone who's :a) pretty weak; b) never shucked an oyster before.

I also volunteer at the Dental Medical Clinic at LIJ. I've always wanted to be a dentist, but I never really understood the entire scope of the profession. Yes, I do like teeth, but other than that, I didn't know much about what a dentist really does and how much effort and time is needed to become an excellent dentist. So, I decided to shadow a dentist this summer to not only gain shadowing hours if I decide to continue as a Pre-dental student, but also to use the experience to better inform me about my future career choices, and to help me decide whether or not I really want to be a dentist. I'm really glad I am shadowing dentists now, because I am learning a lot more about dentistry than I had previously learned before. Sometimes it can be really boring, sometimes quite fascinating, sometimes shocking, but never is there a completely dull moment. I'm really starting to warm up more and more to the dental profession now!

I must say that this is the most craziest summer I have ever had in my life. I've never had to juggle summer classes with a lab internship, dental shadowing and random sports practices. I don't want to sound like an incessant complainer ( I am extremely grateful for both the lab internship and the dental shadowing opportunities), but seriously, I wasn't even this busy during fall or spring semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment