Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Return of the MacBlog!

Oh MacBlog, did you think I would desert you? If you thought yes, then to be honest I did for a while. But no fear! After stopping by the Honors lounge today, Betsy informed me that the blog is still very much up and running during the summer in spite of the lack of posts. That's right; even bloggers don't take a break. And why would we? Blogging is just like talking to friend (albeit imaginary), and speaking to you as a friend...Do something over the summer! Don't just sit on the couch and catch up on all those missed TV episodes. You (and your body) will thank me later. Take this opportunity to explore all the free events that are offerred in the city. I can honestly say that I wanted to go to college out of the city, but I am so glad that I stayed. There's so much that I didn't, and still don't, know about the city. With the dorms conveniently located near the Lower East Side, East/West Village, Union Square, Waterside, Chelsea, Herald Square, Times Square and all the other places I haven't explored yet, you'll never be bored. If it's within walking distance, then go for it. Take a walk instead of taking the train. Safety first, of course, so always have a friend with you. That way you double the fun!

Take summer for what it is: A break from school. But this doesn't mean you should hang out with your friends 24/7. Volunteer at an organization! Get involved in your community! A lot of places offer positions during the summer. They need volunteers, interns, and employees. So get yourself out there and do something! It can be for fun like volunteering at an animal shelter a few times a week or it can be financially rewarding like working at a clothing store. This may mean your weekdays are occupied, but that leaves your weekends completely free so you still have time to do the things you want to do.

I just started volunteering at Beth Israel in addition to taking a course at Hunter. It's a hassle to wake up at 7AM in the summer but it's so worth it. After volunteering for just a week there, I learned a lot about the health care industry, the work culture, and myself. Even though I probably won't end up working in the medical field, I find it important to immerse yourself in a new environment from time to time. First, you come in contact with new ideas. Second, through your interaction with unfamiliar concepts, you learn something new and build upon yourself. Third, and most importantly, you're using your adaptations skills...Survival of the fittest!

Hope everyone is having a lovely summer. I can't wait for the fall to arrive so I can see my friends and meet some freshpersons (I'm told this is the PC version of freshmen).


Until next time,
Ting

No comments:

Post a Comment