Monday, January 31, 2011

welcome to spring sem, 2011!

wow it's weird to dust off the blogspot and keep blogging. okay, so, welcome to the spring semester! this semester I'm taking english 120, peopling of nyc (mhc150), intro to art history, psychology of human sexuality and intro to nutrition. hello, beautiful semester.

also, did I mention that I usually have about 2 hours of class a day and, on mondays, wednesdays and thursday, I have only one class a day? oh and I have nutrition IN MY DORM on wednesdays so that's going to prove to be incredibly unproductive (hopefully not though).

the goals for this semester are:
1. be more patient.
2. be friendlier (apparently being friendly is not my forte, according to, ironically, my friends)
3. make the best of classes I'm unhappy in.

so I've been taking yoga recently (at yoga to the people, really everyone should try it at least once and you will probably fall in love with it) and one thing that yoga teaches is to accept the moment because it won't last forever but accept it, accept the tenderness that comes with it, and let it go. I hope this mentality is going to aid me in my semester because it's very true that all too often I end up checking the time on my phone to see how many minutes are left of class or checking to see where the next section of the textbook begins so I can take a break. no. from now on I am going to try to internalize the moment and accept it and breathe into it.

I'm also excited for my classes this semester, surprisingly more excited than I was last semester. I'm really excited for psychology of human sexuality (it just looks like such an interesting class), art history (which is probably going to turn out to be very difficult because it's a ton of memorization but I love art so it'll at least be interesting memorization) and nutrition (because, of course, I love food so much and learning about nutrition makes me really happy, it's pretty weird).

anyway, the other two classes are requirements and they are DEFINITELY the ones I'm going to have to have breathe into because I can already tell that english 120 is going to drive me up a freaking wall (because I know how to write an essay and argue a point, I did debate for 4 years of high school and summer programs at both stanford and princeton) but I'm not sure about peopling of new york city. I've studied hispanic immigration before (in high school spanish we spent a semester learning about it...in spanish though so I'm sure I'll be able to express myself more adequately in english) and my grandparents are jewish immigrants (survivors) from poland and I went to jewish day school for 19 years so I know about jewish immigration to america (AND to israel, but that doesn't really apply here). but, I'll make the best of it. or, I'll do my best at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment