Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"We Are New York"

Yesterday was the information session/training session at the Macaulay building for the volunteer project "We Are New York" - an initiative with the Mayor's office to teach English to immigrants in New York City. I'll be working with another girl, who I don't know much about yet, in Corona, Queens starting on March 12th for 9 weeks. I'm really excited for the opportunity! I feel like this is a volunteer project that really makes a tangible difference in the participants lives, as English is, obviously, a much needed skill for city life. I'm looking forward to getting some teaching experience under my belt, too.

We Are New York is still taking volunteers if anyone is interested! (Macaulay kids, it takes care of your entire community service requirement, if you need another incentive.) If anyone has questions they can comment below, but I encourage everyone to check out the website. It really is a great program.

-Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment