Monday, March 8, 2010

Hey readers. I'm blogging to you from the courtyard outside of the Hunter dorms, enjoying the last few rays of sunshine. I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying the nice spring-like turn the weather has taken. In the early fall, I used to love doing my reading out here, and it looks like I'm going to be able to start doing that again. Yay!

Over the weekend, I volunteered at Thirteen's Celebration of Teaching and Learning, which was so much fun. I got to see Diane Ravitch speak about her recently published book The Death and Life of the Great American School System. My mom's a teacher, and I'm seriously considering pursing a career in education (if not as an educator, perhaps in the field of public policy, which is why I was really excited about Hunter's new undergraduate program in Public Policy) so I found her speech (as well as some of the panels I got to attend in my down time) really fascinating.

It's also great food for thought considering the upcoming Macaulay event I'm going to: "Macaulay Perspectives: Fixing Our Schools". I'm sure much of the analysis presented by the speaker, Whitney Tilson, will be in opposition to the ideas I heard espoused by Ravitch (she is skeptical about the impact of charter schools, whereas Tilson is vice chairman of KIPP Academy Charter Schools in New York City) so it will be interesting to get a look at both sides of the debate about education reform so I can formulate my own ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment