Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Break! ...kinda

So somehow the first three days of my Spring Break entail my getting up at 7:00 AM. Which is actually not bad, except for the actual getting-up part. Yesterday I had to get up early to go spend the day with family, and with friends I haven't seen in ages, so that was good; today it was to spend most of the day dogsitting for a friend, which entails spending all day in a very nice apartment in the Village, with a very nice, sweet old terrier. And tomorrow is my usual Monday at Legal Aid. My attorneys are doing arraignments today, so they've promised to have lots for me to do tomorrow (as opposed to this past Wednesday, where I spent 8 hours in the intern room catching up on Pol Sci homework... of course, I'd stayed till 7:00 last Monday, and run an extra errand for one attorney the week before, so it all balances out).

Last month, incidentally, I started serving as one of the Senior Senators in the Undergraduate Student Government. I'll only serve a quarter of a term--half a semester--so I don't expect to formulate and push through any grand paradigm-shifting policies, but it's interesting work. USG's main functions are planning events, governing the official clubs, and liaising between the students and the people who run the school. It's a good way to develop a mastery of the more esoteric areas of CUNY's byzantine bureaucracy. I also get to feel that I'm giving a little bit back to the school. Not a whole lot, but I will make a few things run a little bit more smoothly than they might have otherwise.

On an utterly unrelated note, last night I saw a really cool theater thingy by the New York Neo-Futurists. It's in a nice little artsy theater in the East Village. Interesting work structured around controlled randomness. The tickets cost $10 plus the amount you roll on a 6-sided die; the show lasts 60 minutes, and they try to get through 30 short plays, in whatever order the audience calls them out; and every week they roll 2 6-sided dice to decide how many plays to replace for next week's rotation. The plays I saw last night ranged from topical commentary ("Health Care Symphony") to sheer hilarity ("When Abstract Impressionists Attack") to frankly disturbing ("Meryl Streep Will Drink Your Blood Now"). Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment