Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Liver and His Integrity


Sadly, I'm afraid that this blog has essentially become a chronicling of my ridiculous tv obsessions through college. I'm surprised I didn't dedicate an entire post to Veronica Mars and Logan Echolls' baby faced smile. But aha! This year I have only watched one twenty minute show and it's been two weeks of college! And it was the season 2 premiere of The Mindy Project! Ok and Legend of Korra season 2 premiere as well...but nothing else! (Wait can I just say...Mako and Korra are cute and stuff but also boring now that they're together. Moment of silence for this)

In my exciting adventures this past week, I ran into a vaguely cute boy. We made slightly awkward eye contact before I casually sashayed away (just kidding. I bumblingly dashed, I'm sure, but for imagination purposes let's go with sashayed) and as I contemplated the meaning of our .02 seconds of deep eye contact, my ever informative friend tapped my shoulder and told me of the piece of banana hovering over my lip. And that's how I keep it classy with the boys, folks. In fact, I'm sure I'll meet my to be husband (unless the title of cat lady is in my future) while doing something extremely embarrassing. I say this because every cute boy I've ever interacted with usually involves our first meeting being very memorable... them tapping my shoulder and me shrieking and turning around as if I were in Taken with enough fright to make them fall, and other worse stories like this but I'll refrain from scandalizing the public with unnecessary awkwardness.
However, my dad has hope for me yet: in admiring the watch he bought for me for class, he looked at it lovingly and said, "You know Amirah. I think now that you've got this watch, and it looks so nice and stylish, you'll hook a lot of boys now." Obviously the watch alone will help me in this regard- thank goodness I've got it now, dad, it'll definitely bring all the boys to the yard, this is what I've been missing all these years, this thin stylish band that will heighten my attractiveness to an unparalleled level never seen before!

Anyway, other updates I'm sure everyone wants to read: I spent last week reading over twenty chapters, and my textbook was interesting, so interesting in fact that I have written a series of short stories entitled The Liver and His Integrity. Additionally I am creating a master-plan outline for my upcoming new fantasy adventure series that takes place in the body, and features:

-a pair of naughty prankster lungs and their pleura, whose idea of fun is to feign respiratory arrest and ask the cerebral twins for bail
-a burbling, slow moving blood-brain barrier whom nothing gets past (quite literally so, eh?)
-a grumpy paranoid cirrhosis-fearing liver and his enzymatic minions of digestion
-a soft speaking, literary aficionado heart whose mutters are oft taken for murmurs, to his great annoyance 
-a loud, grumbling but harmless and generally overestimated fellow of a stomach who doesn't like his HCL anymore than the next microbe
-all in all, a really rather cheeky gallbladder
-a worrisome, overweight bladder with an overbearing uterus of a mother
-and of course, our underdog hero and his possible band of misfits...but it's a work in progress. 

I have really been spending a lot of time with my textbook. Don't judge me.

I feel needlessly happy- no really- because I've got so much reading to do and clinicals to practice for, and I had two long classes today but I enjoyed them and I like what I'm doing! And I guess that's enough to be happy sometimes. Junior year feels like freshman year all over again. I'm in the nursing program, so I'm meeting and befriending cool new people, and I wish we could all just know each other already so we'd be past this potentially-awkward meeting stage. I have made a bunch of cool new friends and we hang out and practice taking blood pressure on each other and make jokes about assessing our lives since that is a major component of our nursing textbook right now.

I meant to keep this post short and decidedly non-rambly, but what fun would that be, so wish me luck in my adventures of trying to accurately take blood pressure without cutting off my friends' circulations!

Amirah

PS: Excerpts from this week's Adventures in the Library

1. Ate chocolates and toffee before going to the library this week, promptly fell asleep and woke the next hour living in fear that the poor lady next to me had cringed listening to me snore the entire time
2. Reflected that Copacabana is a cool name and a cool place where I would like to fan myself on the beach and sip a cold drink. This may or not only be because of a recent Bollywood movie I watched and them mentioning this location in Law & Order: SVU. 
3. Cried over Esperanza Rising when I reread the ending. This crying in the children's book section is getting inappropriate because the kids keep seeing me, and I'm not sure if I'm scaring them off books. I couldn't believe the onset of emotions I had over Miguel and her father dying. I'm not sure the fifth graders could believe it either.
4. I bilaterally assessed my carotid pulses and then I read that you're not supposed to bilaterally do it, because you could stimulate your carotid sinuses and cause irreversible damage to cerebral blood flow, which then freaked me out for the next hour as I convinced myself that I was having odd head and neck pains...I'm still not 100% sure my neck feels the same right now either, honestly

No comments:

Post a Comment