Friday, August 30, 2013

Sophomore Year: Knowing Even Less About Your Life?

So, here I am, back at the MacBlog.

It's been a pretty productive summer for me. I spent nearly half the summer taking two fabulous classes. One, Queer Voices, was an interest class which also fulfilled a box in my major. The other, German Fairytales, was purely elective (I switched into it after a debacle with the Philosophy class I was meant to take) and I can't begin to describe how much I loved it! Of course, it was a condensed version of the semester-long honors German Fairytales and I nearly drowned in all the reading, but it was a great challenge. Learning about the oral tradition is, of course, part of being an English major. Yet I was terrified to do the oral presentation of a fairytale. I did very well, as I usually do with things I panic over. However, I had such anxiety about it for so long.

I, being an English major, hate oral presentations. Why speak for 10 minutes about what I've spent hours, days, even weeks writing about? How could I even sum it up.?Why bother when it's all there to read? I doubt all the other people in my class care about the topic I've chosen to write about. Which brings me to my next point. Never underestimate the power of teachers who are just as awkward as you. I'm in no way knocking oral presentations. They're enormously useful in life, from leading a company to presenting your research. However, if you hate speaking in front of people, there's nothing better than a professor who feels the same. Now, one would think that someone who hates speaking in front of people would never become a professor (oh god, why is that even a possible career for me right now?). However, I currently have an English professor who is endearingly bumble-y and mutters sarcastically witty remarks under his breath. I love him. I feel just like him. He is my English soulmate, not only in his manner, but in the content he teaches. He has never explicitly said that he doesn't like oral presentations. He has, however, noted that they are the least important part of his course, will be dropped first if there's not enough time, and aren't mandatory for those who are terrified of them (me?). I felt instantly at ease in his class the moment he expressed that he didn't want me to be terrified of this presentation all semester. He gets me, and it's great.

What I'm getting at here is that you need to find professors who get you and your educational needs. Not every professor is going to be so accommodating, but if you can connect with just one professor and have him or her truly understand you, you've hit the jackpot. It's important to be comfortable in class, with your professor, with the content, and with the workload. I had a professor who insisted that anyone who fell behind in the reading or found it challenging should come speak to him immediately. Don't let it get so bad you can't fix it. I know this sounds corny, but teachers are there for you because they want to be. They love the subject and want to talk to you about it. Use them. They'll be happy to help. Never be afraid to e-mail them, talk to them after class, or see them during office hours. They're all alone in those boring offices, waiting for someone to come to them with a pressing problem. Brighten up their day with your questions. Go see them just to talk. It will make you feel more comfortable with them, better about your work, and it will reflect well on your grade.

Yeah, so that's a whole bunch of advice for you!

In other news, I declared my major two weeks ago and I am now an English Literature, Language and Criticism Major with a focus on American Literature. I'm still undecided about whether to be a Philosophy major or minor. Now I'm going to continue my sophomore year as someone who should know more about her life than the freshmen, but kind of knows less now maybe?
At least I know good places to eat now! That's my one saving grace.

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment