Thursday, January 26, 2012

Interviews, Nook, New Years Resolutions

Well tomorrow is the first day of class. I've been thinking alot about how I want to tackle this semester. I was pleased with the fall but I am absoluteky convinced I can do better. Hence why Ive pre outlined four bio chapters and two chem ones, plus I even got a head start with OWL. I feel extremely glad I did thus. Speaking of which, I am writing this blog from my new Nook tablet. I absolutely adore my Nook, its perfect for reading (no more late night reading by the fire) andI can carry by school notes with me at all times. Completely worth the week I spent bidding on ebay (winning it on New Years Eve), and the other week I spent tracking the package from two different post offices, each claiming the other one had it.

Anyhow this vacation allowed me to distribute my time between exploring my other interests such as calligraphy and writing and working with my parents. Its quite nice when your parents upholster furniture, Ive been to some of the coolest restaurants and most gorgeous townhouses in the city. I also helped during the interviews for the potential class of 2016. I was present during the first and last night. First night I was a greeter, I simply directed kids where to go from the lobby. Although there wasnt much time to talk to the kids, I solved this problem the second time around. The last night I was initially signing the interviewers in but when my friend needed someone else to accompany her downstairs I went with her. So this time, instead of simply telling the kids where to go, we personally took them up. This gave me a chance to ask them how they were and to ask them if they had any questions. I love talking to them because I was once in their position and I cam certainly think of ways that it could have gone better.

I always love volunteering at events like this, even in high school I adored helping out at PTC, open houses and schoo lfairs. I even some from people from Townsend Harris at the interviews. Its amazing the diversity of students that apply to Macaulay, their backgrounds (out of state), intended majors (environmental science) and overall look. Some wore suitsand were completely confident. Others were much nervous so I tried my best to ease their doubts. One guy told me he was tired and I told him to wake up, he needed to be alert and ready. It was quite nice to tall about my experiences at hunter and it really helped me to solidify my growing sense of belonging here.

No comments:

Post a Comment