Thursday, January 19, 2012

Back to the grind

The Spring semester starts next week and I feel totally unprepared! Well, that's a lie. I'm prepared but not really looking forward to waking up before noon every day again. January flew by and I was in this sort of surreal state. I think I'm so used to long summer vacations that a long vacation in the winter is just confusing. I almost don't believe that I've been away from school for this long.

The highlight of my month off was definitely my trip to Philadelphia, where I attended the annual joint conference of the Archaeological Institute of America and the American Philological Association. It was basically a four day conference filled with all this classics related! There were 3000+ people attending, with over 100 lectures and presentations, workshops, receptions (a fancy word for parties) and an "agora" (as I called it) of Universities, publishing companies, and program directors trying to sell books, trips, and anything related to the study of philology and archaeology. It was one of the most amazing experiences I've had since I declared my major. I shared a room with four equally excited classmates and we all had a great time and met tons of people interested in the same things we are interested in. I even saw four of my professors there.

Naturally, after this, coming back to Hunter for a class seems a bit underwhelming. But I am excited about my classes this semester. I'm continuing to study classical Greek and Latin and I'm starting to learn German! (Actually, I'm not that excited about German. I'm kind of terrified.) I'm also taking a seminar offered by my department taught by one of my favorite Professors. This should be an interesting four months.

Hope you all enjoy your last few days of freedom. You will find me passed out on my fluffy bed until next friday.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment