Friday, March 20, 2015

Fifth Avenue and Match Day

Hi, everyone!!

It's snowing! And it's the first day of spring. haha. I can't complain much though because the view outside my window is spectacular. Snow covered benches and trees.

Today is Match Day, which is the day that most 4th year medical students find out where they will do their residencies. It's one of the most exciting days of a future physician's life because they have now almost completed med school and are finding out where they'll be spending the next few years of their lives and possibly their entire lives. I can't help but imagine myself on that day. What will I be like? What specialty will I choose, and where will I end up? Many exciting things ahead.

Columbia Match Day 2015

Speaking of Columbia, somebody I know got into Teachers College! How awesome is that??

On Monday, I treated myself and took a long walk downtown. As I walked down Fifth Avenue, I couldn't help remembering being there freshman year and thinking about the changes that I see in myself since then. The maturity and the perspective that has been building since then. Being in the last couple of months of college, I can't help but continuously reflect on all that's happened. What I did right, what I did wrong, the happy moments with friends, and the anxious moments before an exam. My first walks down Madison Avenue, the long train rides to school, and going to museums.

But I should save the reflections for my last (!) post on the blog. haha. Oh gosh.

Speaking of reflections, I sat on the steps in front of Lincoln Center yesterday and was reminded of the first time that I was there. It was August 2011, just weeks before I started college. Some of my high school friends and I had gotten together for one of our last days together before we all went off in separate directions. At that point, I was just learning about the subway system. I had seen very little of Manhattan and had spent little time away from my parents. Sitting on the steps yesterday was like a full circle moment. Now taking the subway feels like the most natural thing. I've been to parts of the city that I only knew by name when I was 18. I've spent countless hours on my own and with friends crafting my sense of independence.

So much for an end to the reflections...:p

I also took my first exam of the semester yesterday, on endocrinology. It wasn't too hard, thankfully. A couple of questions that I'm unsure of but otherwise, I think that it went well.

I have a test on cancer bio on Monday so I've been prepping for that too. Wish me luck!

S.

For this last semester, I've decided that I'll share one cool/interesting/thought-provoking thing that I happen to run across during the week:

The Backlash Against Mindfulness 

No comments:

Post a Comment