Friday, December 12, 2014

Skirts and Cream Puffs

Hey, everyone!

The semester is just about over. Monday will be my last day of class, in which I have to hand in my final English paper of the semester. Then, I just have one final exam on Friday (for my Jewish history class). Woo hoo.

Last weekend was fairly busy. I took my mom to the doctor on Saturday in the pouring rain in Brooklyn. Then, afterwards, we picked up some presents for people.

On Sunday, we went to the mall, and I finally got myself a pair of tall black boots! And two new skirts. It's funny that this time last year, I owned only 2 skirts. In the last year, I've given away those 2 skirts (because of poor fit or because it wore out) and have bought 6 new ones. I also asked my mom to turn one of my dresses into a skirt so technically, I have 7. You might be wondering why I'm telling you all this, but I'll explain. haha. Skirts and I have a up and down history.

I owned a few skirts (that relatives had given to me) when I was in elementary school, and I would wear them in the summer time. I liked them, but I honestly don't know how good they looked on me. haha. Then, in middle school, I outgrew all of them.

When I was in 7th grade, we went shopping for a skirt to wear to an event, I tried one on that my mom said made me look like funny haha. It just wasn't the right style for me, but from then on, I kind of wrote off all skirts and told myself that I just didn't look good in them. I bought another skirt when I was a senior in high school and another one when I was a sophomore in college. But neither of them looked exactly "right" on me.

My skirt "revolution" came this past spring when I bought a black floral skirt that looked awesome on me. That made me realize that I could wear skirts so I started buying more in that style. I feel great in them, and I always get compliments when I wear them. So what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to write off something as "not for you." There are so many designs and cuts and colors out there. Find something that works for your body. Work with what you have. :)

The skirt that started it all (along with a matching top).
Ok. Style lesson over. haha.

I've been suffering from headaches all week long. I think it's a combination of the rain that we got earlier this week, school-related stress, and personal stuff. But I feel better today, thankfully. The best thing to do is to sleep it off if you can. Also, drink some tea, and listen to soft music. And definitely pop a pain reliever if your headache isn't getting any better and/or you need quicker results.

Lastly, I want to mention this bakery called Beard Papa's, which is known for its yummy cream puffs. Their NY location is just a few blocks from Macaulay headquarters on the UWS so if you're ever in the area, definitely check it out. I haven't been there in 2 years. Must get myself one of those creamy wonders soon...

S.

Quote of the Week

“I tell my students, 'When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else. This is not just a grab-bag candy game.” 

~ Toni Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment