Thursday, December 11, 2014

Getting into the Holiday Spirit

From about December 28th-ish to December 18th mid-day, I am probably the worst person to try to spread the holiday spirit to. Especially in the first half of December. I celebrate Christmas, but I emphatically believe that seasonal products and entertainment should stay within the confines of their season. Plus, my birthday is the week before Christmas, and anyone who is in a similar situation knows my pain; however, I am here to talk about a few things that do, in fact, get me into the holiday spirit... Even when it's not yet Christmastime!!!!
Number One: Advent calendars! I love advent calendars. For those of you that don't know what these are, they are December 1-24 (sometimes 25th) specific calendars. Every day leading up to Christmas in December, you open the "door," or in the fancier ones perhaps a small present box, and you get a little treat. For me, advent calendars always mean chocolate, but one day I'd really love to treat myself to a nail polish one or a mini candles one. My mum usually buys my and my brother's advent calendars, or a relative sends money for her to buy them in their stead. Top tip: Trader Joe's always have really cute ones. 
Number Two: Making a Christmas/Birthday wish list. I don't usually make a super formal one, but I like to write down a few things that I would like. Mostly for my own entertainment, and so that after the holidays I remember what I wanted to use any Christmas money to buy, but I usually also let my parents in on one or two things that I would really like. Presents always make me happy, so this is kind of a given I suppose. 
Number Three: Twinkly lights! I hate early Christmas trees. Growing up, I always made my parents wait until after my birthday to put up the Christmas tree (wow, that makes me sound really quite bratty..). But (the point is) if I'm walking around the city, twinkly lights in the trees do actually make me feel pretty festive. Or at least, more willing to be. Further up 23rd, around where the Home Depot are, there are a bunch of trees with lights on and I was over there on Sunday evening, and it looked really sweet. 
Number Four: Hot chocolate. I mean, come on, do I have to write a paragraph.

With all that said, as the semester is winding down, I do wish you all the best of luck with your final exams and papers and presentations. You have earned a good relaxing few weeks, or closer to two months if you aren't taking any winter classes or working at all. And, if you have a little trouble getting into the holiday spirit - Christmas or other December/January holiday - maybe just stir up some hot chocolate and put on a fireplace ~mood background on your computer.

Ps. I tried to keep this as holiday-neutral as possible, but it's also personal and I celebrate Christmas, so of course that will show through. But, whatever you celebrate or don't celebrate, I do wish you all the best for finals, and for the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment