Saturday, May 3, 2014

In the Underground

Hey, everyone!

I'm writing this week's post on a Saturday evening instead of the usual Friday night because I got home late last night, ate, knocked out for an hour and a half nap, and then had no energy to write anything decent at 11 PM at night. haha.

It's a beautiful day (as have been a good amount of the days in the last month), and I just came back from doing some grocery shopping with my mom. I'm the kind of person who loves shopping of any kind (as regular readers probably already know considering that I always post about my shopping trips with my mom :)). Any time shopping of any kind is mentioned, I'm the first to volunteer to go. It's not that I like to spend money or anything. I just like the whole process of looking through a store and seeing all of the cool things on display and then finding things to buy. I like the element of discovery.

Last Saturday night, I headed to the Upper West Side to attend Macaulay's annual Arts Night. The theme was "In the Underground". This was my first time going, and I'm glad that I made the time to go. I submitted a piece this year so I was excited to see that on display as well as all of the other artwork. I got to the Macaulay building early so there weren't too many people around. I got to see all of the curators running around to put last-minute finishing touches on everything. I took my time looking through all of the visual art on the different floors, and then headed over to the Cabaret (This is the coolest part of the Macaulay building. It's right below the first floor and has a bar area with a small stage). All of the performances were being held down there, and I stayed to listen to a few of them. There was some awesome singing and music-playing. It never ceases to amaze me how talented Macaulay students are.

Here are just some of the pics that I took during the night.

The entrance to the Macaulay building
Graffiti Wall
Decorations
There were a bunch of signs like this one
hanging around the building. 
Bar area down in the Cabaret
A door in the Cabaret looked like this:


When I walked in, I saw that it led to a small room that was decked out with strobe lights and had Dubstep playing. Definitely, one of the coolest parts of the exhibition.

Tunnel Dance Party
I should also mention that I took my laptop over to the Apple store right before I headed to the Macaulay building. I didn't get it back for 2 days, and I was going through severe Internet withdrawal the entire time. haha. I kept telling my mom that I felt like my baby was missing. :p It just shows how dependent we become on our technology. It's almost impossible to imagine life without it.

Right after I left the Macaulay building, I took a walk over to the Metropolitan Opera House and hung out at the fountain for awhile. I've been going there a lot lately (as I've mentioned previously on the blog.) It's one of my favorite places in the city.

This past Monday, I also set up the new wireless printer/scanner/copier/fax machine that my family just bought. I'm excited that I can now just print straight from my laptop without having to email the document to myself first.

On Wednesday, I had an interview for a summer opportunity. The person interviewing me was informative and thankfully, not intimidating at all. Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity to volunteer/intern there. I'll definitely blog about it over the summer if I do.

Finals week is coming….It feels like the semester flew by even faster than it usually does.

Enjoy the sun!

S.

College Tip of the Week: Keep your composure.

I'm one of those people who has a really short-temper, and sometimes it's hard to control. Particularly in those situations when somebody is frustrating me or insulting me or just upsetting me. But as I've grown older, I've realized that losing my temper just shows a lack of control, and I never feel good afterwards.

In the college environment, there will be many times when you will be angry with someone or something. It's important to keep your cool and to not do something that you'll regret. There might be a time when you're frustrated with your professor or TA, but please don't send them a scathing email or go to office hours and argue with them. It will just become an embarrassing and uncomfortable situation that is just not worth the headache. Calm yourself down, and go talk to them when you can think rationally. Same thing with your friends. There have been more than a few times when something my friends have said or done has frustrated me, but I always try to tell them how I feel and not just attack them. People are people and sometimes, we don't treat each other as well as we should. The earlier you learn how to control your temper and be the better person, the easier it will be for you later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment