Friday, January 24, 2014

21

Hi, everyone!

It's been a chilly few days, and I'm happy to be at home this Friday night. I have a mild headache, but writing about my week always makes me feel better about things so here I go.

I'll start off by talking about Drake's awesome performance on SNL this past Saturday. I've known about him since his Degrassi days when he played Jimmy. When he became a rapper about five years ago, suddenly everyone knew he was and everyone had something to say about him (both and good). I always thought his music had a lot to say and that he was one of the best rappers out there.

But his music wasn't the focus of the episode. His SNL performance showed both his fans and critics his amazing comedic talent, which is not something that he has ever had the chance to showcase. He was clearly the star of every sketch he was in and did some fantastic impersonations. I loved seeing this side of him, and I hope people soften their critique of him.

I love it when people show unexpected sides of themselves.
Here are some clips from the episode. Enjoy. =)

On Monday morning, I went to the dermatologist to check out the small bump in my earlobe as well as my acne. The doctor told me I had a small cyst in my ear, and she injected it with something so it would go down quicker. She prescribed something for my acne and told me to come back in a few weeks to see how it was. The entire time I was there, she was super friendly and answered any questions that I had. She was a good example of how a doctor should act. Anytime I'm in the presence of doctors, I try to soak up whatever I can. That's going to be me one day (if all goes well), and I want to be just as friendly, warm, and knowledgable.

On Tuesday, a big snowstorm was in the forecast, but I made my way over to the Upper East Side to meet with my advisor. Having an advisor is probably in my list of top three best things that are best about Macaulay. The advisors have a lot of experience in various fields and as a result, have a huge network of people. They can help you get internships, volunteer positions, etc. They're also great for course planning as well as to help you with any personal issues. If you end up at Macaulay, become close with your advisor from Day 1. They're a great resource.

We talked about the Opportunities Fund application and about possible activities for this summer. As some of you may know, the Opp. Fund consists of $7500 that every Macaulay student has access to. You can apply for parts of this money to pay for unpaid internships, graduate school exams, study board trips, etc. More info can be found here.

We also talked about summer opportunities. I have a whole list of things to go through to try to figure out what I want to do for my last summer (eek!) in college.

When I left Hunter, the snow was coming down softly all around the neighborhood. It was so beautiful and one of those things that you can't really capture in a photograph. Snow makes everything just a little bit more magical.

But things got a little nutty after that.

That afternoon, our refrigerator at home broke down. We were freaking out because my birthday was on Wednesday, and we had cooked all of this stuff and were going to cook more the next day. By that time,  it was snowing really hard outside, and we decided to just call a repairman the next day. Who would come in that kind of weather? The snow was both a curse and a blessing though. The cold temperatures allowed us to put the food outside. I know that it sounds kind of crazy, but we couldn't just let all of that food spoil! We live in an apartment building, and luckily, the garage roof is right by the kitchen window. We put a bunch of the food there. We put the birthday cake in my aunt's refrigerator (she's our neighbor). We were lucky that our freezer was still functioning so we were able to keep the meat and ice cream there.

Wednesday morning, a repairman came and told us that our motor had to be replaced. However, they had no more motors left in the shop, and had to order one. They would come again Thursday afternoon at the earliest.

So there we were on my birthday. It was freezing outside, our refrigerator wasn't working, and most of our food sat frozen outside. What a 21st birthday, huh? Surprisingly, it wasn't a terrible day. My friends left me some sweet messages on Facebook. I got some work done. (I know. Who works on their birthday? But hey, I had the time so why not?) When my mom came home from work, she told us to pretend everything was normal and to just have fun that night. We sat down for a late lunch. I had my first legal drink! haha. We had dinner some hours later and drank some more. Then, my dad grabbed the cake from my aunt's apartment, and we enjoyed some awesome chocolate cake. It actually turned out to be a pretty good birthday.

The cake! (And the result of my attempt to decorate the cake.
 It actually doesn't look so bad! haha.)

Yum!

Salmon!

Having fun.
It feels a little strange to say I'm 21. I feel like kids wait their entire lives to reach this age because they want to officially be adults and drink and all that jazz. I did too, but I still feel like me. I'm not any cooler or anything. But I do feel a bit of a responsibility to be more of an adult.

Here's to being 21 and to starting a new semester on Monday!

S.

Quote of the Week

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage."

~ Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment