Saturday, January 4, 2014

Medicinal Names & Finals Stress & My Similarities to Kajol That Never Got Posted

This is an old post from...the end of November?

I am studying for Pharmacology and DYING.
I would follow up that statement with a lot of drugs you can use to NOT die (Pyridostigmine in a myasthenic crisis! Atropine as the antidote for cholinergic crises! Tensilon!, Diltiazem! Lorazepam for status epilepticus!)
But really, all those nursing memes - about how an 80% is barely passing (sob. It is. It's 10 points higher than the passing grade), anything concerning..excrement, the amount of crazy stress, the amount of crazy reading, and crazy work- they're totally true! Not to put down other majors - sometimes you can't even compare majors, they're so funamentally dissimilar in amount and type of work - but Nursing is definitely one of the "hardest" if you are comparing them. For an undergrad major, it's surely tough. At orientation to the program they give you a handout on life adjustments (haha, right?) for nursing school but lol, it's 100% true. Nursing is a cult, a way of life, and I'm glad I'm in it.
BUT I CAN'T STUDY THIS CHAPTER ON CARDIOLOGY RIGHT NOW OH MY GOD I JUST DON'T WANT TO LEARN IT I KNOW THE OTHER 75 DRUGS FOR THE TEST I *CANT* ADD 25 MORE! And sorry to use this as a rant but we have to know the indications (oh, this drug is used for these 10 things, sedation preanesthesia alcohol withdrawal, seizures etc etc), then the cautions and contraindications (aka "don't take with grapefruit juice or it won't be metabolized! Taking with insulin will kill you because of the enhanced effect and resulting hypoglycemia!), then the adverse effects (but really. oh my god. I can't with these AEs right now- everything gives you dizziness, it appears, with CNS drugs, and bradycardia and tachy and diahrrea and constipation and how will I remember?!)

But other things, I am really excited for xmas time, and the warmth, stress, love, winter-y cold and hot tea that I associate with it. I made an epic power ballad-romance playlist because, idk, songs sound so much more emotional to me in the winter time (*cue me recently crying over "seasons of love" from the glee episode about corey's death*).
And my social life...I'm trying to maintain it. It's definitely harder this junior year, all of our lives change as things get realer and tougher I suppose.
I asked a guy if his name was "perfect" the other day because it sounded like he said his name was perfect. It was Evan or something like that...not sure how that happened, but I perfected a good pick up line hahah...though I can't see myself ever using a pickup line non-jokingly) (on that thought, if someone jokingly but not jokingly tried to pick me up by first saying a cheesy pick up line so long as they knew how idiotic it sounded, I'd totally...be refreshed by that!)
I've made a group of new friends and ...it's really nice. It feels like freshman year, except you don't get that "make new best friends!!" as much after freshman year so I'm glad I got the opportunity to meet new people. Especially because they find me refreshing and I them, since we don't know everything about each other yet. We're being obnoxious on facebook and finding each other funny. It's so cute and reminiscent of new friendship-building.
Other things :
-My name appeared in a book series I've followed for years, and it was a highlight of my life
-My expo board continues to be a source of joy as I find nice things written on it that remind me I have friends
-Been listening to a lot of old-romantic songs "From this moment on," or "Hello," or "I Just Called To Say I Love You"!!! They're so nice!
-This week's idiocy included: burning pans, wielding knives scarily, relating to the dysfunction identification section in my textbook
-I love volunteering!! It gives me a chance to be overly friendly with people with no boundaries. And I love staying busy like that.


My grandparents have been on a Bollywood kick and watched DDLJ and LOVED it and I rejoiced because they said I looked like Simran, a compliment which I will take any day, and now they're watching KKHH. Unforunately, for this movie: after the scene where Rahul tells Anjali he loves her as he's rehearsing it for someone else, while her hair flies back in non-windswept fashion and you literally *see* her heart break on screen (omg. that part though. sob every time), my grandfather goes, "Amirah! That's you!"
The question is, to be flattered since Kajol is the best and wins in all the endings, or worried, since he HASN'T SEEN THE ENDING and says we're similar because boys reject her ?!?!

PS. Poem from November:

School is hard
My life has been scarred
Not from a wound like you would think
or from the oxide of Zinc
But because pharmacology is ruining me
In my future, Ergotamine, Barbiturates, NMJ Blockers are all I can see
Who cares about Non Specific Alpha Adrenergic Antagonist Blockers
Not me, what a shocker
My room is even a mess
In light of this test
I wish it would just go away
Then I could relax and have nice days
But no, there is Isoproterenlol to study
And it is not even very funny
Material to learn.
For a break, I do yearn,
But not even pumpkin cheesecake
Could help to take
Away the pain
Of learning all of these drug names.

This has been Amirah with poetic stress relievers of the day, pc out




No comments:

Post a Comment