Friday, November 8, 2013

Traveling through a Wormhole

Hi, everyone.

I just finished watching this week's Grimm episode, in which people's abdomens exploded because they were poisoned by mushrooms. Sounds weird, but definitely interesting for the pre-med in me. Also, the episode touched on the fable, The Three Little Pigs, but in the show it was the pigs who were harming the wolves.

On Monday, I went to a personal statement workshop held by Hunter's Career Development Office. If you plan on attending some form of graduate school, then you will most likely have to write a personal statement as a part of your application. It can be one of the hardest parts of the application because most people do not how to write about themselves effectively. I found Monday's workshop to be super helpful because the presenter actually described the entire pre-writing and writing process needed to create a good personal statement. I liked the emphasis on the process because we are often so concerned with the end result that we rush through the entire thing. In these essays, it's important to focus on crafting a particular message about yourself, and that can take a whole lot of introspection.

Anyway, this past week was exciting because of the election on Tuesday. I was in school all of Tuesday so I ended up voting at 8 PM. I was surprised at the amount of people who showed up to vote.  There's data out there that suggests that a lot of people just don't vote (for whatever reason). It was cool to see my neighbors have some enthusiasm about the voting process. So now we have a new mayor, who I hope will be able to handle this energetic and insane city of ours.

I'm currently taking physics, so I'm learning about all of this cool stuff related to motion in our everyday lives. Gravity is one of the most important things that we discuss right from the beginning. I keep having this urge to prank my professor by playing this song right as she walks into class. Do you think she will appreciate the humor? haha.


Speaking of physics, does anybody out there watch The Big Bang Theory? It's a comedy about a group of nerdy scientist friends who try to navigate this world with minimal social skills and a whole lot of brains. Each episode has just the right amount of science based humor and regular old "guy" humor. Truly a joy to watch after my long Thursdays.

Also, on another note related to physics, I recently came across this interesting concept called a wormhole. I was watching this video about time travel, and wormholes were briefly mentioned.


I decided to look them up, and I found them to be super fascinating. Essentially, a worm hole is:


If wormholes actually do exist, then we could travel to all kinds of different places. Pretty cool!

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that I'm currently the Arts and Culture editor for The Macaulay Messenger, which is a student-run newspaper that covers topics in arts, sports, pop culture, and Macaulay life amongst other things. Students from all 8 campuses are encouraged to join. If you're a current student, please email mhc.messenger@gmail.com for more info. If you're a prospective student, check out the website, and see the kinds of things that Macaulay students write about. If you choose to join our Macaulay family (which you should because we're awesome!), then you should definitely get involved with things like the Messenger and of course, the MacBlog. It's a great opportunity to perfect your writing skills as well as to leave behind some kind of legacy.

S.

Quote of the Week 

(Seems appropriate due to all the physics references in this post.)

“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.” 

~ Isaac Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment