Friday, November 15, 2013

The Advisor and the Gel

Hey, everyone!

I always have a hard time getting up on Friday mornings because I know I'm going to have a long day. This morning was no different. The thought of getting out of bed to take a physics quiz at 9 AM and then to go to a 4 hour Bio 203 lab did not sound all that appealing this morning. Nevertheless, I acted like the grown-up college student that I am (laughs at self), and went to class. It turned out to be a relatively good day. I'm exhausted (which I seem to be every Friday night), but I'm feeling good otherwise. I'm just honestly waiting for Thanksgiving to come. It's one of the best holidays of the year and is second only to New Year's Eve in my family.

Last Saturday, I watched the Miss. Universe competition, which I always think is cool because I love to see all of the different national costumes that the women wear in the video clips at the beginning of the show. I also love to see the beautiful dresses and of course, to hear the answers to those questions that everyone seems to mess up on. I was disappointed with how the Top 5 answered the questions this year. Only Miss. Philippines actually had a good answer, and she didn't even win! Miss. Venezuela ended up winning which made absolutely no sense to me. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes in these types of competitions? I honestly don't even want to know.

Back in September, I mentioned that my Macaulay advisor of two years, Adrienne, left Macaulay Hunter to work with the students at the recently established Macaulay program at John Jay. This past Wednesday, I had my first meeting with my new advisor, who I am happy to report is easy to talk to and has already proven to be helpful. I had a question relating to classes I have to take next semester, and I decided to stop by her office today. I walk in, and guess who's in her office with her? Adrienne! She was there to help my new advisor transition into her new position. I was super happy to see her and it's nuts to think that I never would have seen her if I didn't have that question. Life is weird like that.

An hour after I saw Adrienne, I went to my bio lab class. We've done gel electrophoresis many times over the semester, and the results have not always been as expected. Today we cut the the plasmid that we inserted DNA into, and then ran the gel to see if the DNA was cut. I think I was the only one whose plasmid actually got cut with the enzyme so I'm feeling kind of proud of myself! haha.
Here is the gel with the arrow pointing at the successfully cut plasmid:


Have an awesome weekend!

S.

Quote of the Week

I awoke, only to see that the rest of the world is still asleep.

~ Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment