Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sunshine, MoMA, and the Garment District

Hello, everyone!!

I hope you're all having a fantastic break. The weather has really been amazing, and I find myself making excuses to go outside. haha
To those of you reading this that are seniors in high school and have already received your acceptance letters Macaulay at Hunter: Come to us!! We're cool people!! =)
I had a great time at the MoMA today. I've been trying to find the time to go for months, and I finally decided today was the day to just go and immerse myself in some contemporary art.
It was awesome. The two main exhibitions right now are the Diego Rivera exhibit and the Cindy Sherman exhibit. The Diego Rivera murals are breathtaking in their portrayal of Mexican workers and 1930's New York City. Cindy Sherman's work just completely blew me away. Virtually all of her photographs and portraits are of her dressing up as a particular "character". She not only is the photographer but also the subject, the stylist, and the make-up artist. Artists like her push boundaries to make the viewer see things in a different way.
Some photos from my visit:

A College Student's Thoughts...Zzzzz




Diego Rivera welcoming me into the exhibition.



The Starry Night




Self-Portrait by Frida Kahlo (Diego Rivera's wife)

I highly recommend both exhibitions. The other work in the museum is fabulous as well. Be sure to check it out.
I also visited the Garment District to get some photos for my Seminar 2 website project. I'm always trying to go to neighborhoods in Manhattan that I've never been to before.

In honor of the area's Garment Industry History

Last week, I went to the West Village. It's definitely an interesting neighborhood. The streets are slightly confusing because it feels like they cross every which way but I eventually got the hang of them.

Enjoy the rest of your break!


Quote of the Week:

"Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits."
~Sarah Breathnach 

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment