Sunday, August 28, 2011

The calm after the storm

Here's hoping that everyone and their families are safe and sound. I know I was really worried about the hurricane especially after Mayor Bloomberg announced a mandatory evacuation for the dorms. I rushed back to the dorms after volunteering (yes, even in the midst of a hurricane warning I went to help out at Beth Israel because I thought they would be swamped with work for the weekend) and packed a bag to take home. On my way to the elevators, it seemed like everyone was getting ready to go as well and there was a general feeling of panic and anxiety. But there wasn't a feeling of only looking out for yourself. Everyone was wishing each other safety and giving out hugs and I really felt a sense of community. That's what I love about being in the dorms. You really get a chance to create a family away from home, a support system when you're in a new environment, and these are the people you'll be counting on for more than four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment