Thursday, August 25, 2011

China and Other Things

OK, before I actually begin my post let me just say that Katherine is absolutely right about the power of blazers. Throw it on a sundress and you're good to go. Throw it on a t-shirt and you're polished. It must be the fitted tailoring that shouts professionalism and maturity. So if you're doing any back-to-school shopping, then invest in a blazer! It's a great investment to your closet since it's so versatile. Now on to the actual post...

Hope you guys didn't miss me too much! I know I was on a super long hiatus but that's only because I was visiting family abroad and internet connection isn't the easier thing to obtain. I went to Beijing for the first time and the experience was amazing. Being in China's capital and the root of my ancestors felt so surreal. I felt connected and detached at the same time. There were people who looked like me and could probably relate to growing up in a Chinese household but at the same time I was very aware of how different I was because I spent almost my whole life in the states and have become accustomed to certain ideas and ways of life that are foreign to them. In addition, my Chinese was conversational at best. Plus, I spoke Cantonese while Mandarin is the official language. Already there was a language barrier. In spite of that, I found myself forging a relationship to Beijing. Hearing spectacular things about the capital, I expected to be met with modernity and fast-paced city life but I was surprised to see how much history was intact. Instead of seeing skyscrapers and office buildings, I saw scenes of serenity: pagodas, gardens, and ponds. Although that may have been because I was a tourist and doing the usual sightseeing of the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Great Wall of China, Ming's Tomb, and etc. There was so much culture attached to the nature I saw. Everything was landscaped and well thought out. Even the steps were constructed with history in mind. There were exactly nine steps because the Chinese believed it was a heavenly number. I was learning so much about China, my ancestors and their legacy, and myself in the process.

After touring Beijing and visiting relatives, my Mom and I flew over to Hong Kong to visit her parents and my grandparents. I was there two years ago so I wasn't as excited for sightseeing as I was in Beijing. What I was excited for was finally seeing my family on the other side, especially my younger cousin, and finding out what has happened since the last time I was there. On the bus ride there I marveled yet again at the exhibitions of nature. There were mountains on top of mountains with little roads carved out. Trees lined along every street. Playgrounds on every block. Bike lanes and running routes along bodies of water. It was spectacular. Keep in mind, though, this is the view from the suburbs of Hong Kong and not the island where buildings rule the skys and streets are crowded with cars, buses, bikes, and people.

Being overseas was a good break from the city but I'm so glad to be back. I may love immersing myself in other cultures and gaining new perspectives but I will always be a city gal at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment