Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hi Everyone!

Hello! My name is Michael and this is my first time posting. I am an incoming sophomore to Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College. I'm majoring in both Psychology and Religion and have plans to, eventually, obtain a Doctor of Psychology degree in grad school. I am also an EMT-B and work for a hospital-based FDNY 911-participating service. I have a love for both humanistic psychology and healing, as well as emergency medicine, and the relatively young, fast growing EMS sector feels like a second home to me. Working for such a prestigious 911-participating hospital is more than a great opportunity-- it is a privilege. I love going to school in Manhattan almost as much as I love working EMS in Manhattan, and living in this city is a treat in itself.

The best way I can describe my summer is transitory. My freshman year at Hunter was a very fast-paced and exciting one. I took a lot of time to experiment with different classes and majors until I felt like I had really found my calling, which is psychology (specifically crisis counseling). I also took a lot of time to find out who I was as a person. I went, like most of my classmates, from living with my parents and having everything provided to me in one way or another to living in one of the biggest cities in the world on my own.

I loved it. I was enthralled from day one. There I was-- smack in the middle of New York City, opportunities abound, a new friend around every corner, and a life full of excitement and growth to be had. Was this romanticized view I carried with me realistic in retrospect? Yes, it was. That's not to say I didn't have my share of disappointments or boring nights. The key to it all was healthy balance. I had some friends who would go out every night and some who wouldn't go out at all. I knew that I had to keep my priorities in order. If I had work to do and needed to stay in to finish it, that was just the way it had to be. But when I went out I had my fair share of fun. I really started to discover Manhattan my second semester, once I had settled down and gotten in the swing of things. I can't wait to go back in the fall and continue.

College life in Manhattan, at least for me, isn't all about partying or studying or some combination of the two. What made my first year here so interesting was the independence and sense of empowerment that fills you as you take part in any and all activities in this city, and I still carry that with me. Whether I am studying alone quietly in a Starbucks, enjoying dinner with a group of friends, on a date at one of the cozy bakeries in the village, in class at Hunter, writing or reading in my room, or on an ambulance rushing to a 911 call at work, I always find myself stopping in whatever moment and thinking "Wow. How nice this all is." There is nothing particularly interesting or exciting about my life that makes it better than anyone else's; I am not trying to boast. It is simply this mentality that has taken ahold of me and has made living in Manhattan such a gratifying and deeply satisfying experience.

My summer has been transitory because I am getting used to this life. I've devoted a significant amount of time this summer to meaningful rest and relaxation. I decided to put off the summer class I had considered taking in order to more comprehensively integrate all that I had experienced into my being and sense of wellness. I got the Manhattan 911 EMS job which, to be honest, is the opportunity of a lifetime for a 19 year old kid in college. That I am very proud of and I owe that to my mentors and my strong past in EMS. It has also allowed me to use my Spanish (my mother is Cuban) in real life, finally!

Other than that, and reconnecting with old friends, I have compiled a reading list (on my new nook that I got for my birthday!) that has deepened my understanding of all sorts of consciousness, psychology, the human heart, healing, and emergency medicine. I've also taken a LOT of time to meditate and practice mindfulness. I joined a gym and have been investing more in physical wellness. I've also accepted an opportunity graciously offered to me to study and learn Reiki (Japanese touch-based therapy), something I hope to deeply incorporate into my emergency work and my own life, and have been preparing myself mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually for the new paradigm of healing that I will soon be learning.

Although this summer is almost half over I feel that I have accomplished a lot because I have been able to truly relax and contemplate my life as it has been, as it is, and as I would like it to be. Manifestation is such a powerful thing, and once I discovered my own channels of manifestation and invested in them with patience, gratitude, and a sense of compassion for humanity, I've found that my life has begun to move around my sense of control over it, and that is simply empowering.

For anyone who is going into their freshman year at Hunter, let this be a reminder to you to have fun and go at your own pace. Do what is right for you. Keep an eye on your work and don't slip up, but also allow yourself to grow and experience life as a person, not only as a student. Manhattan is a great place for that. For anyone considering Hunter, know that this is not a traditional campus experience, but the life that you can build in Manhattan for yourself is virtually limitless with the right attitude and work ethic.

I look forward to writing more once I have more to write about!

Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment