Saturday, July 9, 2011

Giving Back

I think this blog has sufficiently proven how incredibly talented and driven the students at Macaulay Hunter are. Mike is a certified EMT working at a hospital. Katherine has a research assistantship with the Dean. Jemi's interning at a marine biology lab. OK, what can't these kids do?! But in all seriousness, I find that the biggest change from high school to college was the atmosphere. In high school it was cool not to care and hang out with your friends every day but it's a totally different scene in college. Students actually care about learning, want to find a passion and are engaged in current issues. It's actually really inspiring. My peers were one of the reason I took up volunteering at Beth Israel this summer.

I wanted to do nursing but to be honest I'm not the strongest person in science and my biggest reason for considering nursing was to help people and job security. For me it was about 4 years of college, getting my RN license, and going out to save the world, one patient at a time. It was a clear and direct path. There was no room for leeway. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very interested in health care because I believe that every person has the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" which includes being in good health. Although I won't be doing nursing, it doesn't necessarily mean that I won't end up in health care. From talking to people at Beth Israel, I found that the people who work there now didn't initially have a plan to work there and somehow life led them to where they are now. One of the secretaries majored in finance and worked in a few firms but ended up in Beth Israel where he doesn't deal with finances a lot. It's hard to say what the future has in store. To me, the future isn't set in stone so you might not necessarily end up where you intended to be.

My advice to incoming students? Find your passion. Follow it and see where it takes you. Because if you love what you do, then there's no doubt that you will be happy doing it and that kind of attitude is always welcome in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment