Saturday, August 28, 2010

Another post about the beginning of a new semester

Today is special, because today marks the first weekend in several months that comes after a school week. OK, so it was really just two days of school but the effect is roughly the same. One of the nice things about the CUNY schedule, in which we start the semester in late August, is that we really get eased into it: two day, weekend, full week, long weekend, etc. Which is to say, starting school when almost everyone else is still on vacation isn't all bad.

So far this semester seems quite promising. I had a pretty rough Sophomore year for all kinds of reasons, but in these past couple days I've found that being an upperclassmen is pretty neat. As a psychology major doing (well, probably doing) a concentration in behavioral neuroscience, I spent much of last year taking introductory science classes that I'd skipped as a Freshman. That was fine, but it feels good to be actually getting to the meat of my major. This semester is a nice balance of necessary classes and fun classes, and conveniently enough my fun classes also fulfill some GERs (General Education Requirements). My schedule includes Calculus, which I'm rather excited to finally be taking after putting off for way too long; Social Psychology, which is great because despite being a Psych major I haven't taken and Psych classes in over a year, and my professor, an 80-something year old German psychologist, seems to be a really good teacher; German Radio Plays, which is a bit intimidating right now, but I'm very happy that I'm getting to continue studying German, which I used as my foreign language requirement and have take every semester so far - Hunter's German department is great, by the way; Statistical Methods in Psychology, a somewhat dull but informative required class for my major; and Introduction to Ethics, my very first philosophy class.

And now on the normal Saturday routine which I've, well actually I have kind of missed: breakfast, then hitting the books.




No comments:

Post a Comment