Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday Night Updates

Hi, everyone!

This post is coming to you on a Saturday night because yesterday got too busy, and I spent much of this morning editing articles for the upcoming edition of The Macaulay Messenger and fulfilling my other editor-in-chief duties. haha. I really love that I had the chance to write and edit for the last four years both for The MacBlog and for The Macaulay Messenger. It's kept my writing sharp and allowed me to explore my feelings and ideas in a positive and fulfilling way.

Monday night was Senior Night for Macaulay seniors from all of the campuses. It was held at the CUNY Graduate Center and a good amount of students came by. There was free food, performances by The Macaulay Triplets and The Macaulay Dancers, awards, and a fantastic speech given by Jerilyn Perine (City '75). I got to see my Macaulay friends that I don't get to see too often. I even saw this guy that I know since my first day of first grade! He goes to Macaulay Baruch so we don't get to see each other that often. It was so great to see him, and catch up. I can't believe we've known each other for almost 16 years!! Ahh. After ending the night with cake, I headed to the train and had to fight sleep. I was awake since 5:45 AM that day so I was super tired.

I also had an interview for a scholarship that same day. Thankfully, the day turned out great, and everything went as planned. :)

It also helped that I wore an awesome blue dress for the whole day! It's easy to fight the tiredness when you look fancy. haha.

Yesterday, I met with my advisor to figure out what I'll be doing during my year off from school next year. Hopefully, something that will give me great skills and be fun at the same time.

In Justin's latest post, he writes about the increasing amount of responsibility that he feels in his second semester of college and asks how others have dealt with their increasing responsibilities. It's a transition that every college student faces. As much as incoming Macaulay students are advanced level high school students who are used to hard work, college is different. There is the expected increase in difficulty in academics, less "hand-holding" by instructors, more free time between classes that the student has to properly manage on his/her own, extracurricular activities, family obligations, and time used for fun. Managing it all requires the realization that you need to step up your game in how your organize your time.

For me, that realization happened during sophomore year. That semester, I was taking 18.5 credits and quickly realized that I had taken on too much. I was taking Orgo I that semester, and that class requires a ton of time outside of the classroom in order to really comprehend the material. Because I had so many things going on, I couldn't dedicate enough time to that class to do as well as I could. I never took that many credits again, and I learned to better manage my time. Also, that class made me realize that I had to rework my study habits. I learned to go over my notes after every class and start studying well in advance of the exam. That second semester of sophomore year went so much better because I allowed myself to change and take on new responsibilities without burdening myself.

S.

For this last semester, I've decided that I'll share one cool/interesting/thought-provoking thing that I happen to run across during the week:

No comments:

Post a Comment