Saturday, August 9, 2014

Summer Updates

It's been half a year since I last posted (it sounds way more dramatic to say that than "..since February") and I hope I can just sneak back on here, mad casual. After all, prospective MHC students have been lacking without my opinions and inputs for the past 6 months! This can't go on.

Well anyway, what I have been doing for the past summer (to everyone's avid interest, I am sure) is externing/working at a hospital as a clinical assistant. It was a great 8 week experience, and I really was so lucky to have spent my summer there. I was on a Med/Surg unit, which I chose because I figured it would give me the broadest experience. I could go into the gory details of wound care and catheters or c.dif, but I'll just say that overall it was SO educational and enriching!! I must confess: I am pretty wary of working. Theoretically, it is surely nice and makes the world go round blah blah. But the lesser responsibilities (I mean - you're not responsible for other people and insurance and being on time and payroll and clocking in and scary things like that) of school have kept me happy for so long! However, I have to suck it up and grow up because this is my senior year and ideally, after next year, I'll be working. And then...that trend will continue forever, this working thing, until I'm one of those bespectacled people that say simply, "I've been here for 32 years," all casual LIKE THAT'S NOT SEVERAL LIFETIMES!!!! (It's not. I will be 32 in 12 years. But it sounds terrifying.) Fortunately, I love my work environment! The entire staff worked so jointly and everyone knew each other so well and were overall pretty friendly. I loved work dynamics, basically.
Also, the 12 hour nurse's shift 3x a week was exhausting, but grew on me. No one ever complained about 4 days off!
The rest of my summer has been taken up with Ramadan and borrowing books from the library. Or going to the gym. Very exciting indeed. The best part of driving around is dictating the music soundtrack.
Other than that, I am prepping for the GREs by finally going to google what GRE stands for. I ordered a book and will open it some day...hopefully August will not fly by so that senior year doesn't start soon...ahh!
Hope everyone's summer is well,

Amirah
PS. Outlander the new TV show was really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment