Saturday, April 24, 2010

Choosing classes and the awkward sophomore to junior transition

I'm quite excited about registration this time because for the first time in three semesters I have leeway to choose some fun classes. I've learned a thing or two about balancing one's life since I started college, and I definitely think it's a good idea to mix up heavy semesters and light one. In that vein, having taken a mere 12.5 credits this spring, I'll be jumping back in with five classes (and theoretically working at a psych or bio lab) this fall, which means that after the calculus, chemistry lab, and statistical methods in psychology classes that I need tot take, I've still got two spots to fill. Yay!

Deciding how to fill those spots is not so simple though - too many choices, and I'm trying to fulfill as many distribution requirements as possible. Macaulay is offering an honors section of Cultural Anthropology 101 with a past Honors Seminar professor of mine who I got along with particularly well, so that is a strong candidate. And I was all set to take one of two possible introductory philosophy classes, until the German department announced its classes for the fall, which include temptations such as "German Children's and Adolescent Literature" and "German Radio Plays." After four straight semesters of German to meet my foreign language requirement, the department is one of my favorite at Hunter because of the light hearted class environment and the consistent quality of the professors.

The other appealing thing about taking a German class is that I can take classes beyond the introductory level. Looking to my junior year, it suddenly seems like it's time to get serious about... something. I only have two short years left to finish my major, write an honors thesis, and generally ensure that I've gotten a good education, all of which leaves me wondering what exactly happened to the past two years. When I think hard I realize that the first year was spent mostly taking cool classes and some distribution requirements and generally having a good time, while this year has been devoted entirely to prerequisites for my major. College is somewhat frustrating in that everyone tells you that you shouldn't rush in deciding what you want to do, but once you've figured it out there numerous hoops in your way and you have very little time to do it. Take home message: have fun with your classes, but get serious quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment