Friday, June 28, 2013

That Steamy Weather.....

It's been super humid and sunny outside with small patches of rain this entire week. At one point, I walked out of a building and was blasted with a rush of hot air. I felt like I was walking into an oven. But we were begging for summer to come a few weeks ago and now it's finally here. So no complaining is allowed. Just slather on some sunscreen, put on a pair of cool shades, and soak up those rays (while making vitamin D).

My orgo lab class is still going on. The other day, I was telling my friend that every time I open my lab notebook, I'm greeted by the smells of all the chemicals that we've used in lab. Sounds like a lovely aroma, doesn't it? Yuck.

We have to clean most of our glassware with acetone. After taking orgo lab, I can't even look at nail polish remover in the same way anymore.
A fun thing about lab is that I learn all of these long names for chemical compounds, and I get to thrown them around and sound intelligent. haha. Can you pass me some of that 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine?

I spent last Friday afternoon with one of my old friends from high school. I see him a few times a year, and we catch up on all the stuff that's going on in our lives (and talk about our memories of high school). I've known him since 7th grade, and we've seen each other grow up in the last few years. It's always interesting to me how our conversations become more and more mature with each passing year. Of course we still joke around and talk about silly stuff, but we spent a good portion of last Friday talking about relationships and our future careers. I guess that's how it's supposed to be. We can't be 16 forever. Not that I would want to be. The other day, I was reading some of our emails from 10th grade, and I cringed at the girly stationary and the amount of emoticons and lol's I used in my emails. 


I am so happy about the Supreme Court's decision about DOMA this week. It's such a great step for our country. Nobody should stand in the way of another person's happiness. 


A couple of weeks ago, my AP English teacher from high school invited his former students to a retirement party at his house. I went with a few of my friends, and I had the best time. It was so great to see some old friends and to celebrate this fantastic teacher. I never thought that I would take AP English because I never thought that my writing was strong enough, and I thought the class would be too challenging. Then, in my junior year, he became English teacher, and he convinced me that I should take the AP class the next year. I was hesitant, but I signed up anyway. It ended up being one of the best decisions that I made in high school. We read some great books, and he made us see words in a different way. He's also incredibly funny and just a joy to be around. There are many great teachers and professors out there. Make a connection with the ones that really inspire you.


S.

This song is from awhile ago, but it's fabulous. Super simple and poignant.


Song of the Week


I walked across an empty land

I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing where have you gone

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree

I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

Oh simple thing where have you gone

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And so if you have a minute why don't we go

Talk about it somewhere only we know
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know

~ "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane


P.S. Congratulations to Jemi! She's been a fantastic coordinator of this blog.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment