Friday, June 14, 2013

The Education of S.

Hello, everyone.

I honestly can't believe it's already mid-June. Thankfully, my days haven't been as busy as during the semester, but I've still got a lot going on. Like Orgo Lab II. It's actually not as terrible as it sounds. We learn a bunch of interesting techniques, and I'll take any opportunity to acquire new skills. It's definitely a lot of more intense than Orgo Lab I because we have to do these multi-step reactions in a limited amount of time, but it's manageable if you plan out your work. That's what serious scientists and doctors do. They have to be incredibly organized and focused. The more sciences classes I take, the more I realize how fast this is all happening and the more I realize that I need to start thinking and acting in a particular way. Nothing happens over night. But it's good to get yourself into the habit of what you'll be doing as a professional out in the field.

Speaking of professionals, I'm constantly in awe of people who do amazing work with their hands whether it's painting, sculpting, massage, pipetting, or writing. I love watching people who are skilled at a particular activity. It takes a lot of time and focus to get good at something, but it's so worth it. You never know what skill will come in handy one day, so take the time to learn how to do things. It can be anything- cooking, playing an instrument, knitting, fixing cars, etc.

Also, since many of us have a bit more free time over the summer, it's the perfect time to educate yourself on a particular topic. What is a topic that you've always wanted to know more about? It can be a person, a particular time period, or the history of toys, (haha). Start with an Internet search, and then get yourself to the library and get some books. Take the time to truly learn about that topic. Pick something that really interests you so that you'll stay committed to your research. Education shouldn't only happen during the semester. You should be learning everyday. Knowledge is a powerful thing. And it doesn't have to be boring or tedious. We live in a time where we have access to millions of books, films, videos, blogs, and databases. Use them!!

Summer is also a good time to review your old notes. I know that's probably the last thing that anyone wants to do, but it's actually important. It's not good enough to take a class, memorize your notes, regurgitate them on an exam, get an A, and move on with your life. Maybe that was ok in high school, but it's not ok in college. You should be retaining the stuff that you learn (especially the material for your major). So take the time to review your old notes for an hour a day.

I just finished reading this book about medicine in the Middle Ages. It talked about the kind of work physicians and medical scholars were doing back then, and it was fascinating. Scholars in Europe and Asia wrote these huge textbooks at a time when much of the natural world was still not understood. Even though they had no idea about things like bacteria, they still did impressive work. There was no Internet or fancy laboratories. All they had were their own minds, their experiments, and those wonderful old libraries. Reading about that time makes me want to be better because with all of these resources available, I have no excuse to not challenge myself.

S.

Song of the Week

I like it in the city when the air is so thick and opaque
I love to see everybody in short skirts, shorts and shades
I like it in the city when two worlds collide
You get the people and the government
Everybody taking different sides

...

Round my hometown
Memories are fresh
Round my hometown
Ooh the people I've met


Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of this world
Are the wonders of my world


~ "Hometown Glory" by Adele

P.S. I've decided to post every two weeks during the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment