Friday, July 4, 2014

Physicians and Fireworks

Hey, everyone!

Happy 4th of July!

I saw some fireworks in Coney Island last week. They have them every Friday during the summer so I encourage you to head out to Brooklyn at least once this summer to see them. It's been a couple of years since I've seen them so my dad and I decided to head over there last Friday. So pretty. 15 minutes of magic, excited adults, and sometimes barking dogs. haha. It also gave me a good excuse to have some daddy and me time with my dad. He's full of great stories about all kinds of things: family, history, and just random observations. And I always love smelling the ocean air. There's nothing quite like it.

Then a few days later, I headed over to the High Line with a friend and also checked out Chelsea Market. Can you guys believe that it was my first time visiting these two places? Shame on me. I'm glad I finally got to see them. The High Line was fun to walk on, but we went on a particularly sunny day and there's hardly any shade up there. That part wasn't fun. But there are some cool benches to sit on, and there are some places to get food. Great place for a date. Chelsea Market was a great place to explore. OMG. So much good food.

I'm two weeks into my internship at a hospital, and I've already learned so much. Shadowing a doctor can be a really eye-opening experience. The first doctor I shadowed works with all kinds of patients as a primary care physician. Alcoholics, people with heart problems, people with psychiatric issues, people with all kinds of cancers. I got to see a bit of all of that and more during the week that I shadowed him and his team. I was so impressed him. I think that there is a perception that many doctors can be indifferent or cold, but he was completely the opposite. It caused him emotional pain every time he heard that one of his patients wasn't doing well. He had impeccable bedside manner as he spoke with a gentle but firm voice with each patient. He was filled with knowledge on all kinds of diseases and fascinating medical facts. The second doctor I shadowed worked specifically in the field of geriatrics. Another knowledgable and compassionate physician just full of information.

I've also learned how hard these doctors work. They all get up early in the morning, work very long hours, and have to be attentive and alert at all times. Same for the med students and residents I've encountered. All so dedicated, all so intelligent, all so passionate about what they're doing.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

S.

Quote of the Week

“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” 

~ Henry James

No comments:

Post a Comment