Friday, July 26, 2013

Art

Ahh. I can't believe it's already late July. Where does the time go? It's lost to daydreams, long days in the city, and hours navigating the treacherous waters of the online world. Suddenly, I'm a poet. :p

My mom and I visited the Met to see this year's fashion exhibit "Punk: Chaos to Couture". It was awesome. Unfortunately, they don't allow anyone to take pictures, otherwise I would have taken a million. The clothes are designed by everyone from Vivienne Westwood to Chanel to Versace. Some are purposely "destroyed" looking, others are held together by safety pins, and still others have provocative images on them. They recreated the CBGB bathroom, which actually smells like a real bathroom! haha. However, people who actually visited the bathroom in its heyday say that there are key pieces that the recreated bathroom is missing. For more on that, check this out: http://www.jadedpunk.com/post/49867756316/sorry-but-this-isnt-what-the-cbgb-bathroom-looked

Each room of the exhibition is designed differently. Some are light and have white walls. Others have walls with black brick. It is gorgeously done. There are also screens with video from that era. In one particular room, there's a clip in which someone says "There isn't anything" over and over again. It's quite powerful. In that same room, people are allowed to write on the walls. This is probably the only time you'll get to write on museum walls, so take advantage of it! The exhibition will be there until August 14.

Another cool thing that we saw was Boxer at Rest. It's a sculpture that's on loan from an Italian museum. There was a swarm of people around the sculpture when we got there. They looked like paparazzi with their cameras except there was complete silence (and of course no flash). The boxer is oblivious to it all.  He's sitting down with his head turned. His eyes are hollow. It's impossible to know what he is looking at. But to me, it seems like an angel or God himself has tapped him on the shoulder after a hard fight. There's something about this man that just calls out to you. I absolutely fell in love with this sculpture. Sigh. The detail of the beard, the scars on the face, the wrapped hands. People were super talented back in the day. We can learn a lot from them. Here are some interesting facts about the piece: http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/jerry-saltz-on-the-boxer-at-the-met.html

Unfortunately, it's no longer on display. I don't blame the Italians for wanting to take it back home.





It's all about the Met for this post. What can I say? I love museums.

S.

This week's song is about how everyone has the right to love.

Song of the Week


If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately
"Man, that’s gay" gets dropped on the daily
We become so numb to what we’re saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yet we don’t have acceptance for ‘em
Call each other faggots behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it
Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It’s the same hate that’s caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It’s human rights for everybody, there is no difference!
Live on and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren’t anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that’s not important
No freedom till we’re equal, damn right I support it

And I can’t change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
I can't change
Even if I try
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

~ "Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment