Friday, November 1, 2013

Where is the Buddha in me?

Hey, everyone!

There's currently a commercial break during Grimm so I figured I would start writing this week's post.
It's been kind of another semi-insane week. I probably say that every week, but it's true. Too many things going on. My brain can no longer keep up with all of the emotions. I have to learn how to maintain a state of neutrality no matter what's going on. Gotta learn how to reach my inner Buddha. =)

This past Tuesday was the one year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy. I remember the night of the storm so clearly. Things seemed so surreal. There was so much flooding and destruction on television. None of it seemed real. When I was getting back home this past Tuesday, I saw the beautiful Manhattan bridge all lit up and the buildings alive with activity. It's hard to believe that this same area was completely dark a year ago.

In my Asian Religions class, we've been learning about Buddhism the past couple of weeks. I don't know what made me remember this, but the other day, I remembered the Vietnamese Buddhist monk who set himself on fire in 1963 as a protest against the South Vietnamese government. There's a famous picture of the act, which I won't reproduce here because it makes me incredibly sad. At the time, it was noted that he sat perfectly still during the entire ordeal. I find that to be amazing.

I'm having a hard time finding things to talk about for this week. Maybe my mind is just wiped out.
But I'll give you guys a list of random things from this week:

- My stats exam got postponed till Monday yay!
- A girl who I knew in high school is currently a freshman at Macaulay Hunter. I accidentally ran into her yesterday after not seeing her for more than two years.
- I got into an argument with my friend about the meaning of the word "oligonucleotide". Don't ask me why.
- I had several panicky moments about my grades.
- I laughed a lot, and I almost cried a couple of times.
- I got really really annoyed with people.
- I felt enlightened.
- I found it hard to get up in the mornings.
- I decided that there's hope for the world after all.

Have an awesome weekend, everyone!

S.

Song of the Week

Hey brother, there’s an endless road to re-discover.
Hey sister, know the water's sweet but blood is thicker.
Oh if the sky comes falling down, for you, there’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

Hey brother, do you still believe in one another?
Hey sister, do you still believe in love I wonder?
Oh if the sky comes falling down, for you, there’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

What if I'm far from home?
Oh brother I will hear you call.
What if I lose it all?
Oh sister I will help you out!
Oh if the sky comes falling down, for you, there’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

~ "Hey Brother" by Avicii

P.S. Avicii named himself after the lowest level of Buddhist hell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment